New here!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

Re: New here!

Post by NancyD » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, That Fish Place was a shortish drive when we lived in DE. Great for some equipment & food stuff but, many years ago, we got 1 of the worst "fish plagues" ever. At that time, they had many, many tanks on a shared central filtration system. Be careful...

I seem to remember a Timonium shop, but it's been a long time & things can change over lots of time.

I'm sure there must be a fish club in the Balto/Wash area, even in DE we had 1...& it seems like there was a SE Penn. club too. Look around! Clubs are great! Less so for loaches since they don't likely breed in our tanks...but you never know what might be up at an auction! It's fun for plants or other stuff.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:52 am

DE does not refer to Deutschland, Germany, I think?

Basil

Post by Basil » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 am

NancyD wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm
Well, That Fish Place was a shortish drive when we lived in DE. Great for some equipment & food stuff but, many years ago, we got 1 of the worst "fish plagues" ever. At that time, they had many, many tanks on a shared central filtration system. Be careful...

I seem to remember a Timonium shop, but it's been a long time & things can change over lots of time.

I'm sure there must be a fish club in the Balto/Wash area, even in DE we had 1...& it seems like there was a SE Penn. club too. Look around! Clubs are great! Less so for loaches since they don't likely breed in our tanks...but you never know what might be up at an auction! It's fun for plants or other stuff.
Thanks for the warning on That Fish Place. The only fish I’ve purchased is a Red Tailed Black shark who lives with scissortail rasboras in my 40b. I was there one weekend and saw them in the tank and when I returned a few weeks later, they still looked good. So far so good!
I was in the hobby when I was in high school (in the 80s 😁😁). So I have no idea how long the one in Timonium has been there.
I might do some looking for clubs. I’m pretty involved in my equestrian club so finding the time might prove difficult. 🙂

Basil

Post by Basil » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 am

Bas Pels wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:52 am
DE does not refer to Deutschland, Germany, I think?
Nah. It’s Delaware, USA. 🙂

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for knowing where I was talking about, Basil, & it was a very long time ago. We, back in those days, used to do 2+ hour road trips sometimes. But we had 2 or 3 pretty good lfs & a couple not so good 1s at that time & a small club. We rarely went into Philly but Baltimore had some nice shops IIRC. I'm sure it's different now.

Lol @ Bas Pels, my Euro-centric friend. I'm not sure I understood about the root smell, I've never noticed that with Echinodorus. I have with some mint family stem plants, some are even supposed to be edible for people...but I'm not sure I'll ever eat out of my tank...Have you?

My clown loaches nibbled both crypts & swords if I didn't feed veggies enough, but other species, not so much.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:33 am

I've never eaten Echionodorus. I did try Ceratopteris, it was rather sharp. It is supposed to be eaten by people in Thailand.

However, if you plant Echinodorus, you will neet to shorten the roots. Doing so, some species give quite a pungent smell.

I don't think the popular hybrids do so, but the plant sold - here - as E argentinensis is a good example.