Sources for Pangio myersi - giant kuhli loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jnboone

Sources for Pangio myersi - giant kuhli loach?

Post by Jnboone » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Have a heavily planted 240 gallon. I have all of my fish except for some Pangio myersi. I've been searching for months with no success. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for 30 :-). Live in Memphis Tennessee. Will gladly pay shipping! I'd actually consider international shipping if it's possible. I'd also love to find some Pangio shelfordii if anyone has a source.
Last edited by Jnboone on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bas Pels

Re: Sources for Pangio myersi - giant kuhli loach?

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 am

It would help if you add your location.

Even if I found some, I wonder whether you would be happy knowing somewhere in the Neterlands you'll find them

Jnboone

Post by Jnboone » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks! Guess that would make things a little easier :-). Edited original post and my profile to show.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:59 pm

In the US, you might check out aquabid & the wet spot. Keep in mind shipping charges.

In some ways loaches can be seasonal, I think you "should be" hitting the "sweet spot" about now.

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 am

I was wondering if there was a “season”.
Cool.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Our, in the US, loach season is often late fall into early/mid winter. Some species are "always" available...it depends on which species you're looking for.

It's been a long while since I noticed p. meyersii specifically, I haven't been looking for them, or really any others lately...

Like I said before, look at Wetspot & aquabid in the US...or some of the "big sellers" like live aquaria.

Jnboone

Post by Jnboone » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:55 am

bump. still searching...

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Segrest's got them currently, so could/should be in your local soon.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

akeveryday

Post by akeveryday » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm

i just accidentally got 10 p. shelfordii in a bundle of 25 assorted pangios from my local Petco last week. I befriended the guy in charge of fish for the store and have been trying (he's been trying to order i mean) for a few months to get some p. oblongas so my lone black kuhlii could have buddies (i did also have about 9 or 10 p. semicinctas as well- he wasn't totally a lone noodle). he called me last thursday (fish delivery day) to let me know they'd finally gotten some black kuhliis on the week's order and he (thankfully) did not release them out of their shipping bag cause he didn't want to have to catch them all again from the display tank if i wanted some that day. i took one look at that bag of assorted pangios and told him i'd just take them all. couldn't say no to that squiggle pile.
only one of those 25 was a p. oblonga, one a p. semicincta, there were two tiny tan ones- i'm guessing p. piperata (they don't sit still very well for inspection), 11 of them i think are p. cuneovirgata (though they're tiny and it's hard to be sure yet), and the other 10 are p. shelfordii.
and now i have about 35 pangios. oops. :) i kind of thought that a few of the semicinctas might actually be myersi, since their dark bars are so much bigger and they do have a lot of black on the tail itself, but i kind of doubt that since they're all about the same size as each other and there are a few dark body bars that don't go all the way down the tummy.
i guess what i'm trying to say is that if my local Petco had such a large variety, it must be a good time to look around for pangios, cause i was more than surprised at how many species i accidentally got and didn't even know about yet! my little researcher self has been going research-wild for a solid week now!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Wow, that's cool bunch of pangios! & at Petco no less! I'll have to check mine out.