Happiness is: Now Video too

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Re: Happiness is: Now Video too

Post by FranM » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks, Nancy.

Not sure if you or Loach or anyone wants to spend thirty minutes to watch this, but I would like your opinions.

https://youtu.be/L5FkSTYkEAE

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 pm

I feed cooked shrimp a lot, a few times a week. It comes frozen and I mince it up to to best of my ability with a serrated steak knife. Above all foods, this is this fav!

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:12 am

👍🏼

If I chose to feed shrimp I would do so in extremely small quantities. I’m sure the silver dollars will love it too.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 pm

I finally watched the filtration video (sorry). & while I agree with much he said, I'm going with 2 large filters over just 1.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

FranM wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 pm
Thanks, Nancy.

Not sure if you or Loach or anyone wants to spend thirty minutes to watch this, but I would like your opinions.

https://youtu.be/L5FkSTYkEAE
Hey Fran. I am too late on the scene here. Happy New Year :)

I watched bits and pieces of the video so I may have missed the point but from what I remember you've got two externals running? The FX5 and another one? That seems perfectly fine to me.

Generally, very little media is needed to cycle a tank(I wouldn't worry what type of media) but the bacteria load on it is limited to the oxygen supplied. External filters probably get the least amount of oxygen compared to other filters, at least theoretically, and especially if they're used without pre-filters and not cleaned often. They do the job, despite that and the bigger the filter/more filters is always the better.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

I just have the FX6 running only and each basket is filled to the brim with Matrix. My hope is that there is enough media to keep nitrate at bay all the time—at least under 10 ppm. Water changes would be done every couple weeks to keep parameters stable. This is my hope.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:36 pm

It should be fine. The FX6 is capable enough to cope with the size of tank. I always have 2 filters but its for redundancy as well in case one fails.