VITAMINS?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

VITAMINS?

Post by FranM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 am

So I thought about this and wondered if anyone regularly supported their fish with a vitamin supplement. That’s the only thing I can think of for why possibly my clowns aren’t in rich color, especially the smaller of the two (not counting the little teensies). I’m looking at a product called Vita Chem right now.

They darken and gray a lot during feedings, so I wonder if they are having top clown struggles. The little teensies are not schooling with them yet and one is much more outgoing than the other. On another note, when should I expect the title ones to be out and about all the time? When they feel safe?

Thanks.

Fran

Bas Pels

Re: VITAMINS?

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 am

I ever feed those, BUT I only feed flakes, and the manufacturer does add a lot of vitamins to the flakes.

In case anyone would feed mostly frozen dead animals, I would assume adding vitamins would be a good idea. Alternatively feeding less for the fridge and more flakes would be a good idea too.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 pm

So during a feeding this afternoon, the two oldest clowns were definitely going at it. I bought the teensies to join the “pod”. They are not yet. Do I need add another if I can find a larger one to throw off the hierarchy?

One of the teensies is especially timid. I haven’t seen it for a whole day now. The outgoing teensy keeps to itself but is out and about. Has no interest in the larger clowns.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 am

Fran, the only time I added vitamins was when I homemade fish foods. Most all commercial foods have added vitamins, those should be enough.

Iris76

Post by Iris76 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 am

Hi Fran,

I use fishvitamins 2 times a week. ( HW Multivit)
I agree that most commercial foods contain vitamins, but after a while the quality of the food turns less. That's why I keep using fishvitamins, that way I am sure the food I give them is still rich in vitamins. I have a group of Gastromyzon Ocellatus, a shoal of Danio Choprae and a bunch of Amano shrimp in my tank and i use sticky tablets to feed them the vitamins.

I have Spirulina/Chlorella and Asthaxantin with Krill tablets and soak them for 3 to 4 minutes in fish vitamins. After that I take the tablets out and stick them to the front glass on different places, about when it starts to get dawn. I have leds and a controller that simulates sun rise and set.
This way the Danios can also have a share and when it's dark after 30 minutes, the Gastromyzons can still easily find their food and don't get disturbed by the Danio's.

I love to watch them wriggle against the glass and sometimes compete around the food tablets. It's also a great way to observe and count them and see if they are still healthy. When the lights are off, I pour the remaining vitamin fluid in the tank. (Vitamin quality remains better without the influence of light.) And the tiny bits and scraps that fell off the tablets are great for the shrimp and this way the whole tank gets their share and benefit from the vitamins.
Last edited by Iris76 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only dead fish go with the flow "

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks for the input, Iris. Not sure what I’m going to do yet.