PLANNED POWER OUTAGE

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

PLANNED POWER OUTAGE

Post by FranM » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 pm

At our condo complex they are updating all the electrical. I received notice that in mid January we would be without power for 8-10 hours while they make the changes.

My fiancé is trying to come up with some kind of battery backup to at least keep something going in the aquarium. Unfortunately we are on 2nd floor with a balcony and I doubt generators of any kind are allowed.

So, do you feel it’s more important to keep the heaters going or the filter? I’m feeling the heater. I have battery operated airstones. Also, should I open up the canister filter and expose all media to air?

Thanks. I’m pissed about this.

Fran

NancyD

Re: PLANNED POWER OUTAGE

Post by NancyD » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, Fran. In a condo, you likely have side neighbors & at least 1 either over or under neighbor as well. That can slow temp drop...& as long as the temp drop is slow, your fish "should" be ok. Don't worry, your tank will likely be ok over 8-10 hours.

I don't blame you for being worried, but like I said, your tank will likely be ok.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:54 am

Assuming you will keep all the windows closed and so on, the temperature will not drop dramatically.

However, after bering still for 8 hours, I would not want to restart the filters, I'd want to clean them first. After all, in these 8 hrs everything has been without oxygen.

And, therefore, in case you manage to have some power somehow, do use it for the filters: If you can keep them running, you will not have to clean them

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:12 am

I was planning on opening up the filter and exposing it to air. That won’t make a difference?

This place is VERY drafty. The windows are the original. I thought it was going to be nice and cool in summer and warm in winter on second floor but it isn’t. We don’t pay for the heat, we can crank it but I don’t see it doing much—maybe for a few hours.

I’m planning on being home from work that day. I’m dreading this and winter storms too.

Thank you for the input.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:22 pm

So the outage is starting through the buildings on DECEMBER 12th. I don’t know the exact day our bldg is affected but as I said or I think I said, I’d like to be home.

I took the filter apart today. Rinsed everything. Checked out the impeller and everything looks great. That was a relief. Not having been cleaned since August it really wasn’t that filthy at all!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:39 am

in most places 10 december is warmer than 10 January. At least it is here in NL. Hope this goes for you too

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:17 am

By the time they get to our building it’ll be closer to Christmas. Whatever happens, happens. I can only do what I can do. What’s going to happen when we have a winter storm and lose power? Same thing. If my fiancé can pull something off to keep power going, wonderful! Still hoping for that.