Clown Loach in 105 Gallon

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

meobeou

Clown Loach in 105 Gallon

Post by meobeou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 pm

I currently have a clown loach who is active and healthy, (about 3-4 in. long right now), but he is very lonely, always chasing his reflection. I know they benefit from companions, but I don't know how many I will be able to fit in the tank. I suppose I could give him to someone else, but I am reluctant because I don't quite know how to ensure he will go to someone who will take care of him correctly. I live in Houston, Texas.
The tank currently has in addition to the clown loach 5 silver dollars, 5 giant danios, a Geophagus surinamensis, and two weather loaches (know those shouldn't be in there, but they are large and healthy so I see no reason to get rid of them.) I do weekly 50-60% water changes and feed the fish a mixture of flakes, New Life Spectrum pellets, Hikari algae wafers, vegetables (lettuce, cucumbers, peas, carrots, corn seeds, etc.), and frozen foods. The tank is filtered using a powered undergravel and a canister filter, and there is a monthly service that comes to clean those (they're one of those companies that maintains tanks in hospitals and malls).

Thanks!
Lee!

redshark1

Re: Clown Loach in 105 Gallon

Post by redshark1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 am

My approach has been to keep the fish species I like the best and try to avoid compromises. Therefore, in a tank similar to yours ? 110 us gal I have my six Clown Loaches and only have six Congo Tetras for dither duties and a Bristlenose for algae-cleaning duties.

According to Aquadvisor I would be overstocked with just the loaches.

Also, today the advice would be to keep my Clown Loaches in a tank measuring a minimum of 6' x 2' x 2' which would be 150 gallons.
6 x Clown Loaches all twenty-five years of age on 01.01.19, largest 11.5", 2f4m, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr = 110 US gal.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm

As the UK gallon is some 10 % larger than the US gallon, you might want to change the 150 gallons redshark mentioned into 165 US gallons

lof

Post by lof » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

It's an impossible situation cause your clown loach is really, really lonely but they grow to over a foot long and get really chunky too.
If you want the best for him maybe look for a public aquarium or zoo or something.