5 CL'S in 4ft 95 gallon tank !?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Fishybill

5 CL'S in 4ft 95 gallon tank !?

Post by Fishybill » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 am

Hello, Happy new year everyone! I'm new here and would like to ask the same question often asked in forums everywhere!
I've got 5 CL'S in a 4 ft 95 gallon(360litres) 48 x 20 x 24in an almost 4 x 2 x 2 ft.
My 5 CL'S are 3.5in in size
In this tank there are also 6 scissortail rasbora(awesome fish.!) who occupy the upper levels and some small barbs that's it!
I've got 2.canister filters and the turnover is abt 6 times per hour.
I've asked and got mixed opinions on keeping these 5 CL for long term I fully respect the opinion of a 6 footer but in my country in my small apartment it's going to be tough getting a bigger tank.
(also me wife says a big NO to a bigger tank)
I really can't say for sure if I'll upgrade to a bigger a tank or not.!
Anyway how long before I really must consider getting a upgrade I hear they grow real slow.
Also I read that the sumatran type of CL is smaller in size(the more colorful one with the full red/orange pelvic fins)
I belive mine are the sumatran type (I hope I'm right.!)is this true.?
I'm asking is there anyone here that has kept 5 CL in a 4.ft tank long term ?
Thanks in advance
Bill

lof

Re: 5 CL'S in 4ft 95 gallon tank !?

Post by lof » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm

They grow up to over a foot long and get really chunky too. Most have their colors fade as well.
Since they are a schooling fish it's not really a viable aquarium fish unless you have a public aquarium sized tank.
They either die young or still grow too fast, there is not much you can do about that.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm

In a smaller tank than recommended they will inevitably be stunted.

How much stunting to expect and how soon stunting starts is not known exactly.

There is no study showing this because of the timescales involved.

You are basically keeping the wrong species for the tank you are prepared to provide.

I do know that Clown Loaches have been kept in smaller tanks long term and have remained healthy, though they grow smaller. These days it is frowned on however so you would be going against the grain to proceed.

When I asked the requirements for Clown Loaches before purchasing mine I was told I would need a 3ft tank and that they may live 10 years and grow to six inches. That was the knowledge and advice available at the time. Luckily I got something bigger though not ideal. I do agree that 6' x 2' x 2' = 165 gallons should really be the minimum size.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Fishybill

Post by Fishybill » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 am

redshark1 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm
In a smaller tank than recommended they will inevitably be stunted.

How much stunting to expect and how soon stunting starts is not known exactly.

There is no study showing this because of the timescales involved.

You are basically keeping the wrong species for the tank you are prepared to provide.

I do know that Clown Loaches have been kept in smaller tanks long term and have remained healthy, though they grow smaller. These days it is frowned on however so you would be going against the grain to proceed.

When I asked the requirements for Clown Loaches before purchasing mine I was told I would need a 3ft tank and that they may live 10 years and grow to six inches. That was the knowledge and advice available at the time. Luckily I got something bigger though not ideal. I do agree that 6' x 2' x 2' = 165 gallons should really be the minimum size.
Dear redshark1 what a clear explanation and an excellent reply buddy.
I completely agree that you need a 6footer for CL I sincerely hope sometime in the future my wife will agree but right now she's saying no.
My 5 CL'S are abt 3. 5ins so it's still k I guess I have sometime yet hopefully I'll be able to get to upgrade but really can't say when.
Thanks for your advice buddy
Bill

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I personally started with a similar tank size and 5 clown loaches and they stayed there for the first 3-4 years and could have stayed for another bit had the tank not cracked. I also didn't know if I would be able to upgrade as my other half was against....

As long as you don't keep many other fish it may be ok to keep the fish for a good while in that tank size. I am certain mine were fine, healthy and happy growing in that size tank. They were certainly growing and not stunted but I am very good at very regular large water changes, plus several large external filters,...so no water quality issues.

I cannot deny,however, that upgrading them to bigger quarters made them happier and livelier.....but I have also upped their numbers almost treble to 13 clown loaches since, plus another couple of groups of fish, so essentially the stocking is higher in the bigger tank...compensating somewhat for the upgrade..Mine are now in a 240 G tank. It just happened that I convinced the other half to sacrifice some more space at home and give the fish a permanent home....

If you are up to the challenge of doing more and big water changes, keep the rest of the stock to bare minimum, then the fish will be happy for quite some time...and probably happier than most clown loaches sold in shops. Having said that, I always felt uneasy looking at my clown loaches while I didn't know if I would be able to upgrade them to a larger home...The more years passed, the more apprehensive I got about getting them a bigger home because they became my favourite pets and it was hard watching them in a smaller than ideal tank....Just do right by them the way you can....

Fishybill

Post by Fishybill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 am

Loachloach wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm
I personally started with a similar tank size and 5 clown loaches and they stayed there for the first 3-4 years and could have stayed for another bit had the tank not cracked. I also didn't know if I would be able to upgrade as my other half was against....

As long as you don't keep many other fish it may be ok to keep the fish for a good while in that tank size. I am certain mine were fine, healthy and happy growing in that size tank. They were certainly growing and not stunted but I am very good at very regular large water changes, plus several large external filters,...so no water quality issues.

I cannot deny,however, that upgrading them to bigger quarters made them happier and livelier.....but I have also upped their numbers almost treble to 13 clown loaches since, plus another couple of groups of fish, so essentially the stocking is higher in the bigger tank...compensating somewhat for the upgrade..Mine are now in a 240 G tank. It just happened that I convinced the other half to sacrifice some more space at home and give the fish a permanent home....

If you are up to the challenge of doing more and big water changes, keep the rest of the stock to bare minimum, then the fish will be happy for quite some time...and probably happier than most clown loaches sold in shops. Having said that, I always felt uneasy looking at my clown loaches while I didn't know if I would be able to upgrade them to a larger home...The more years passed, the more apprehensive I got about getting them a bigger home because they became my favourite pets and it was hard watching them in a smaller than ideal tank....Just do right by them the way you can....
Thanks for advise right now in my tank I've added 3 new CL that means a total of 8 CL! 5-3.5inch and 3-2.5inch they are together with 6 scissortail rasboras which are mostly at the top. I've rehomed all my other fish so it's a dedi cated CL tank I sincerely hope my wife will give me the go ahead(sometime in future) to a 6 footer I m very confident this will happen.
Right now the clowns are doing fine and my tank is uncluttered with good hiding spots and the the CL are really doing well.
I realise I have some time yet as long as water changes are done and I've got 2 large canisters running I should be fine.
I d really like your pond CL set up and the think they re thriving and thks buddy for advise
Bill

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Good luck with your bunch.

By the sounds of it you are on the right track and you already take great care of them. They are lucky fish to have you.

Fishybill

Post by Fishybill » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 am

Loachloach wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm
Good luck with your bunch.

By the sounds of it you are on the right track and you already take great care of them. They are lucky fish to have you.
Loach loach thanks very much for encouragement. Just to tell you my 8 CL are doing really well they're very active during dawn and dusk hours and they go nuts over the sinking wafers.! It's truly a joy to see all 8 of them doing their thing ! I'm beginning to truly appreciate how wonderful this species is.! Just love them they're fascinating to watch!
Bill