Planning my new 29 :)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lof

Re: Planning my new 29 :)

Post by lof » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 pm

Dojo loaches aren't tropical and shouldn't be kept in a heated tank.... they won't get old.
So the first choice is either you get an unheated tank with dojo's, white clouds and other compatible fish, or a tropical tank with tropical fish.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Well, I'm going with F vs C temps, lol @ Bas Pels. But 73 or 74F would be the lowest temp for kuhlis IMO. White clouds would prefer at least slightly lower; not the best choice for either. Look at red tailed rasboras (boraras petensis), they're very similar in color & size to white clouds & happy at more tropical temps.

You "can" keep fish at a higher or lower temp than optimum but it means either shorter lives (too high) or sluggish behavior (too low). We'd all prefer to keep fish optimally, not just "can survive" at a given temp.

lilRia

Post by lilRia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you all so much!!

Mughal125

Post by Mughal125 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 am

lilRia wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm
Hi, all! After many years of nothing but bettas after losing all my fish while moving cross country [losing my golden dojos about did me in!], I'm finally going to wade back in! My mind is a little blown by all the research I've been doing and all the competing opinions, so I'd love to hear what you all think. All I'm currently settled on is a bristlenose pleco. I was planning on adding like 12 Kuhli loaches... but I'd really rather have Golden dojos. I'd ideally like to have them with a blood parrot and some dither fish. I know the dojos and the blood parrot will grow and eventually need at least a 55g... but what do you think about having them together as babies? My huge concern is that it seems like the blood parrot low end temp is the high end temp for the dojo.

So that would be... 29g
1 bristlenose
1 parrot fish
? dojos
? dither fish

Appreciate your thoughts!
That sounds much better!
Last edited by Mughal125 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 am

Do you know what a blood parrot is?

It descended from an Amphilophus citrinellum, but it has been destroyed by inbreeding. The spine is curved, the gills don't close. That is, the fish can't breath well, cvan't swim well - but being an A citrinellus it should want to be one of the swiftest swimming cichlids, rowing to 30 cm (males) or 25 cm (females)

I am on a Dutch forum where people advocating keeping this fish are removed. Because this pityfull fish suffers from the day it hatchet, to the day it will, finally, be liberated by Death. Please don't keep them

I myself don't buy fishes from a petshop offering these

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Do you actually have a 55g or are we still talking about a 29g, in hopes of a larger tank? Life often gets in our best plans...