How Many Noodles is too Many?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

akeveryday

How Many Noodles is too Many?

Post by akeveryday » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 pm

I couldn't say no to a whole pile of pangios last week at the lfs and now have 35 of assorted pangio species in a 50 gal along with some of my other fish. I'm about to set up a second 50gal tank, as i know my current display tank is overstocked (i do have the new tank's HOB filter running alongside the regular HOB and do twice-weekly 25% water changes). I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about actual stocking limits if i had an "almost" species specific pangio tank (i know i'll need some dither fish along with pangios)? How many pangios would max out the bioload?

i do currently have three fully set up tanks in total (plus the new 50gal that isn't done with setup) housing the 35 pangios, 9 harlequin rasboras, a three spot gourami, five yo-yos, 6 kubotais, a total of 13 oto cats spread amongst the three tanks, one upside down cat (who needs friends still), as well as about 15 corys of three varietals (would like to add at least 6 panda corys cause i only have 2 pandas right now- i'd rehome the three bronze corys if needed).

I'm trying to decide how best to reallocate fishies into the two main 50gal tanks and how to reorganize who gets the two small 10gal tanks. I'd like to keep one 10gal for a betta (been drooling at Franks Bettas- who would want to resist them?), and should probably keep the other 10gal for quarantine, but realistically i'm not very good at keeping empty tanks if i make any trips to the lfs... ;)

Any thoughts??

cross posted on reddit.com/r/aquariums, but i'd trust this crowd more for loach-specific info!

NancyD

Re: How Many Noodles is too Many?

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:53 pm

There a couple of 50g shaped tanks What are the dimensions of yours?

I can see a few ways these tanks & fish could work, but for starters, yoyos, synodontis & gourami in 1 in a semi-aggressive tank. Pangios & corys can be fine, if there's enough floor space...

akeveryday

Re: How Many Noodles is too Many?

Post by akeveryday » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:05 pm

both 50gal tanks are the 48 inch long style, luckily for me and my propensity for bottom dwelling whiskered fishes. :) i'm planning to put the yoyos with the kubotai, and some of the corys and otos, and a school of some kind of dither fish into the new tank once it's set up. i'm thinking the syndontis and gourami would stay with the pangios and some corys and otos in the older tank.
wondering if i should get the syndontis a couple of school buddies? I feel bad that Catcat is alone- pretty sure nigrivintis is a shoaler when possible? would adding two more syndontis push the bioload/space limits too far with all those pangios in there? In a collective pile, I'm guessing their body mass is equal to that of about three gourami. ;)

At the moment, the older set up tank needs to be rescaped- i had a few rock caves for the pictus i used to have in one third of the tank space and i need to replace most of the rocks with plants, but i don't feel confident in my plant-care research yet and they're expensive to buy so i'd like to give the plants the best chance i can!
The pangios and corys seem to get along fine so far, i've watched at least 10 of the pangios come hang out with the corys during feeding times- in fact now that i've added more pangios, they're coming out more than they used to (i "only" had about 10 to start with-haha)! I'm a little worried about the species diversity of the pangios and only having two of each of a few species as well. especially the oblongas seem to be less inclined to hang out with other species of pangio, though a few days ago one of the new shelfordii was doing lazy loach loops with one of the oblongas, which was cute to watch!