Aggresive Dojo Loach ?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

neto333

Aggresive Dojo Loach ?

Post by neto333 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi, i have a dojo loach in a 140 gallon tank with some other goldfish. When i first got him i quarantine him for over a month along with an oranda in a 30 gallon tank without any ornaments or substrate, just a waterfall filter and an airstone. However my oranda lost an eye somehow, at the begining i thought that it was because his face got too close to the filter tube, but now after more than a month since i put him in the main tank i have seen that sometimes he is very courious with my goldfish, i dont think he is hurting any of my goldfish because they dont seem to bother, however i noticed that my one of the bubbles of my bubble eye popped and again this is very rare because i had this bubble eye for a long time and is the first time this happens, i only have a few rocks and substrate, nothing pointy. My bubble eye recovered from the injury but a few days ago again the bubble poped and his eye is very red (probably he is going to loose his eye) so is the same thing that happened with the oranda, and the only common factor is the dojo loach.

neto333

Re: Aggresive Dojo Loach ?

Post by neto333 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Also my dojo loach is a male, so maybe thats why he is aggresive. Could that be a possibility?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:24 pm

I'm sorry your goldies are having troubles. Maybe adding another dojo or 2, or at least feeding meatier foods might help (goldfish food is light on protein), if it really is the dojo's "fault". Most loaches are social & may behave strangely kept as single fish.

lof

Post by lof » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Fancy goldfish have delicate features and can have problems like that. However you aren't keeping the dojo loach properly you are literally boring him to death. They really need to be in groups.