Long lived sucking loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lovemyfishies

Long lived sucking loach

Post by lovemyfishies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am

HI. Out of interest I have had a sucking loach in a cold water tank with some goldfish for 23 years and he is still going strong! Is he a record breaker? He is still naughty and eating well. Any info appreciated. :)

redshark1

Re: Long lived sucking loach

Post by redshark1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:45 am

That's the oldest I heard about. I'm kind of pleased that somebody has had success with this fish which is often miss-sold.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

lovemyfishies

Post by lovemyfishies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks. He did have a pal in the early days, but he chased him to the tank ledge unfortunately. He is still a mega bully especially to one particular goldfish. He is our most of the day in his old age now and not so scared. Had I have realised what a bad rep they had. would have chosen differently. He has been fun to watch though. Wow on your clown loaches , well done!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:04 pm

He,he. I'd say you're the only person that gave that fish such a chance, so 23 years is unheard of really. In fairness, I always felt sorry for them. They have their place too in a suitable setup, like any other fish.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 pm

I've heard the term "sucking loach" but I'm not sure what species it is. Can someone enlighten me please? TY

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:32 am

I thought the same. PErhaps it refers to Gastromyzon, thes have a sucking cap - and they are NOT loaches.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri is the latin name of the Sucking Loach or Chinese Algae Eater (SAE).

Not now considered to be a true loach.

Cypriniformes (Carps) > Gyrinocheilidae (Algae eaters)

A Golden form is also farmed.

My first encounter with this fish was in a community tank at my middle school positioned in a seldom used entrance near the library which I often frequented. It had one of each of the common colourful tropical fish of the day and I spent a lot of time watching them, usually on my own as it was a quiet unknown refuge and backwater. I remember the most active and bossy fish were the Zebra Danio and this Sucking Loach. One day the Sucking Loach had become the boss and the Zebra Danio had a bloody tail and was keeping well out of the way.

There must be a constant stream of these Sucking Loaches unwanted and returned to shops or worse. I'm reminded of the pet shop in an episode of The Simpsons which proudly claimed "All our pets are flusheable" !!!

I wondered about the numbers of these fish being sold as "algae eaters" to beginners everywhere and hoped that maybe (as with Clown Loaches) one in a million might find suitable homes to live out their lives.

I frequently ponder that fact that during my period of Clown Loach ownership a billion Clown Loaches have "officially" (with paperwork) been exported from Indonesia. And yet I struggle to find owners with fish that have reached their potential in age and size.

Unfortunately, from talking to keepers, Sucking Loaches seem not a very satisfying fish to keep in most instances as they grow large and ideally need a large river tank if they are not to be stunted (like Clown Loaches they supposedly grow large - 11 inches). Unlike Clown Loaches they are not social but are very territorial and best kept singly. Also, they often hide when their owner enters the room (much like my male Bristlenose does unless I am super slow and quiet) and so can remain unseen for much of the time.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Also, they often hide when their owner enters the room (much like my male Bristlenose does unless I am super slow and quiet) and so can remain unseen for much of the time.
In my very early fish keeping career I kept a cold water loach which was caught in the local river. He was some character. He'd hide every time we had guests and would be out when only the family is left. The tank was in the sitting room so people always asked where's the fish. There was just one cave in the tank and he'd be in when the door bell rings and would immediately get out when the unknown voices are gone. He lived for 5 years and then my mom scrubbed the tank with soap in my absence, and he was no longer...

My bristlenose is the same. He's 7 or 8 years old now and I rarely see him.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Hahaha! Loachloach, the thought of your fish responding to the sound of the door bell gave me the chuckles!

A very sad end too. I bet his demise got you in a lather! (terrible I know).

Parents and spouses are best kept out of this hobby. These days I am very lucky in this regard. My wife leaves aquarium decisions entirely up to me and puts up with my noisy bubbly powerheads and rather objectionable Clown Loach food preparations. I do get it in the neck though if, after water changes, I forget to replace the washing machine pipe !

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm

TY, I was think it might be this, Chinese high-fin banded loach (or shark) (Myxocyprinus asiaticus). Those get HUGE!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 pm

A very sad end too. I bet his demise got you in a lather! (terrible I know).
Well, you can tell. :lol: I still remember it as if it was yesterday :lol: I was very angry :mrgreen:

The story happened decades ago