Suddenly ill loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sid's mum

Suddenly ill loach

Post by Sid's mum » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Good afternoon all,
We have a much loved weather loach, called Sid, who came to live with us back in 2000 - so it at least 19 years old.
He has suddenly swollen up on his belly, near his head and, last night, this area turned bright glowing red. It looks very serious. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

NancyD

Re: Suddenly ill loach

Post by NancyD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Well, at 19 years+ old, Sid has a good long life. Kudos to your good care!!

But at that age, there's going to be "something" that "he" eventually dies from. I'm sorry, he's had a great life thanks to your husbandry. But there's only so much we can do to extend our fish's lives. Like aged people, they will eventually die of something.

I wish I had better advice than change lots of water...but that's the best I can offer for such an old fish. I'm feeling your pain :( It's hard to say goodbye. Does he like some special treats? Now is the time to offer them.

Sid's mum

Post by Sid's mum » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 am

Thank you, NancyD, for such a lovely reply - and for the honesty I probably needed to hear. Thank you.
We did a partial water change last night and will do another in a few days as the nitrates are quite high.
Sid has been the most gentle, lovely fish and we will miss him terribly. He looked far worse last night, so I am a little fearful of what I am about to find.
He outlived his friend, Nancy, by over a decade and has survived 2 house moves.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Sid has been a wonderful fish over the years & your moves too. Even survivors eventually die. We cry & wish there was more we could have done.

Right now I "waiting on the death" of a lone survivor loach too. I haven't seen him in a week or 2; his 5 conspecifics have died out over the last 3 years, sniff, I really do understand.

But now, I'm making plans for my next fish. Mine were too rare to see for sale any time soon (peppermint loaches, Traccatichthys taeniatus). Very pretty & active...sniff...

So you might choose to get more dojos...or go in a different way...That's what I'm thinking right now. I've never kept botia kubotai but I think I might like them next...but it's not time yet.