Treat with Levamisole again?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Basil

Treat with Levamisole again?

Post by Basil » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

2 threads started in one day! :D

My sids are doing great. Still in the smaller holding tank as I’ve had problems keeping fish alive in the 40 b after I rescaped it. Sigh. No cycle crash but fish getting lethargic, refusing to eat, and dying.
I think I’ve finally linked the issue to the new driftwood I put in. Now that I’ve removed it, fish are much, much better!
Anyhoo, I have 2 sids who are a good bit smaller and thinner than the rest. Still active and eating though. And I can see 2 reddish colored spots on the underside of the smallest. Not like an open sore spot; just different color on their body.

I initially dosed the tank with levamisole in December right after I purchased them.

Should I do it again?

I’m crossing my fingers that the 40 is straightened out and I can move the sids to that soon.
Thanks!

NancyD

Re: Treat with Levamisole again?

Post by NancyD » Tue May 21, 2019 12:05 am

Can you post a pic or 3? Reddish says bacteria to me but it's hard to say.

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 am

I’ll try. They are quick.

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 21, 2019 1:01 pm

When I went back to the tank to try and get some photos, the little guy was definitely struggling. And I realized how skinny he now seemed, even from yesterday.
So I did a 50% water change, removed the charcoal and added a half dose of levamisole. I’ll add the other half in 12 hours.
Lights are off and the little guy is still hanging in there. :|

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 am

I’m amazed at the rate of wasting in this little guy :( But he’s hanging in there.
Just did a 75% water change and added charcoal to the filter.
I’ll do another treatment in 2-3 weeks.
Luckily I don’t share most equipment between tanks so hopefully nothing has spread.
And if course, it might not be internal parasites but just some defect or weakness in him specifically.
But fingers crossed!