Clowns In The Predator Tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

YellowFinned

Clowns In The Predator Tank

Post by YellowFinned » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:49 am

Clown in the predator tank:

Siamese Tigers and other occupants of the predator tank.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:23 am

I hope none of the clowns get swallowed up. . Sorry. I'm just not a fan of this type of set-up for clown loaches. I'd give them their own tank.

Beautiful fish you have though.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 am

What size tank is that?

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:36 am

chefkeith wrote:I hope none of the clowns get swallowed up. . Sorry. I'm just not a fan of this type of set-up for clown loaches. I'd give them their own tank.

Oh dear. Bit like nature that. Loaches (though not clowns), tiger fish and arowana (green not gold) all share the same waterways. None of them have got swallowed, they are not small and, as I am sure you know, are not without defenses.
Beautiful fish you have though.
Thank you.

Barracuda518 wrote:What size tank is that?
Seven foot by two and a half by two and a half.

omtay606

Post by omtay606 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:55 pm

somebody has some really nice tiger datnoids..! would you send me some?

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:48 pm

Nice tank!! Those loach shows no signs of being harassed by the bigger fish. They are in the lower domain of the tank. Although they will eat from the tank floor, most of the larger fish are mid to top water dwellers/hunters by nature. You can tell by the shape and angle of their mouth. I know of arawanas (sp?) being great jumpers, even jumping out of water to feed on insects.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Tiny

Post by Tiny » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Those are lovely fish u got. although i did have the same thought as chefkeith in that those bigger fish might try to attack or eat the clowns.

Or are your clown loach happy and mix well with those bigger fish?

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:52 pm

wow..nice tank and fish :D

325 gallons must be nice..the clowns deserve big tanks :P

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 am

Nice tank and nice fish :)

Have you noticed any interaction between the Pimelodus and the Clowns at all, I had 4 Pim's housed with my clowns for a short term quite a while ago and there seemed to be a total clash of personalities :?:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:17 am

omtay606 wrote:somebody has some really nice tiger datnoids..! would you send me some?
Glad someone else likes dats. These wide bar ones are really hard to find.
Vancmann wrote:Nice tank!! Those loach shows no signs of being harassed by the bigger fish. They are in the lower domain of the tank. Although they will eat from the tank floor, most of the larger fish are mid to top water dwellers/hunters by nature. You can tell by the shape and angle of their mouth. I know of arawanas (sp?) being great jumpers, even jumping out of water to feed on insects.
Yes they can jump. All aro keepers know to keep a firm lid on the tank.
Tiny wrote:Those are lovely fish u got. although i did have the same thought as chefkeith in that those bigger fish might try to attack or eat the clowns. Or are your clown loach happy and mix well with those bigger fish?
The clowns are not small and not meek. When there is fresh shrimp or tilapia fry they act as efficient and greedy predators.
brett_fishman wrote:wow..nice tank and fish :D
325 gallons must be nice..the clowns deserve big tanks :P
-brett.
Somewhere over four hundred including the five foot sump filter.
Mad Duff wrote:Nice tank and nice fish :)
Have you noticed any interaction between the Pimelodus and the Clowns at all, I had 4 Pim's housed with my clowns for a short term quite a while ago and there seemed to be a total clash of personalities :?:
Well spotted there! There are two pictus and two featherfins which have formed a clique. Together they monopolize one quarter of the floor and half the rear panel. The pictus are definitely the smallest by weight, but are continuously active. The clowns rule the two pieces of wood and the area between them. I have never seen any clashes between the pictus and the clowns, but somehow, they have established their own territories. The only battles I have seen involving the clowns are when the two largest gray-out and vie for alphadom.

Thank you.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:52 am

...wow... :shock:
thats insane..

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:52 am

Wow, thats the most amount of dats I have seen in a tank (not that I have seen many datnoid tanks) :) I normally think of clowns as really big fish, but they litteraly look like dwarfs in that tank, I assume they arent fully grown or all the other fish just really that much bigger (sorry i dont really have a frame of reference). With that many large fish, that are mostly mid and top level, is it hard to feed the clowns enough? And lastly, is that flagfish full grown? I really havent seen one in a decent size tank, I know they get large but seems like most I have seen are unknowing folks who put em in 55's and stunt them.

I am looking for another large species of fish to go with my clowns when I get my big tank up and running for them, not sure if i want predetors though. Was thinking possibly bala sharks but definatly not dedicded yet.

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:17 am

brett_fishman wrote:
...wow... :shock:
thats insane..
-brett.
I have got plans for bigger!

crazy loaches wrote:Wow, thats the most amount of dats I have seen in a tank (not that I have seen many datnoid tanks) :) I normally think of clowns as really big fish, but they litteraly look like dwarfs in that tank, I assume they arent fully grown or all the other fish just really that much bigger (sorry i dont really have a frame of reference). With that many large fish, that are mostly mid and top level, is it hard to feed the clowns enough? And lastly, is that flagfish full grown? I really havent seen one in a decent size tank, I know they get large but seems like most I have seen are unknowing folks who put em in 55's and stunt them.

I am looking for another large species of fish to go with my clowns when I get my big tank up and running for them, not sure if i want predetors though. Was thinking possibly bala sharks but definatly not dedicded yet.
I have got eight dats in that tank, between seven and ten inches. ( Just got another three, each less than one centimeter ( excuse me for mixing imperial and metric ) . ) The biggest I have seen is close to eighteen inches, but have heard of them getting two foot.

There are also eight clowns, between five and seven inches.

The aro is already sixteen inches, and growing fast. The flagtail is about seven inches. I have seen them up to twelve inches. They are quite easy to find large, but usually they don’t have the deep orange tail and fins.

The clowns are easy to feed. The dats and the aro only accept live foods. Today I have thrown in about fifty crickets and a kilo of ghost shrimp. The clowns got straight to work on the ghost shrimp.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 am

sorry for my ignorance, but whats the fish in the first photo. it is very pretty. so are the siamese tigers. i have never seen them before, they look mean

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

helen nightingale wrote:sorry for my ignorance, but whats the fish in the first photo. it is very pretty.
Semaprochilodus Taeniurus aka Prochilodus Taeniurus aka Flagtail aka Aeroplane Tail
Great fish if you have a large tank, peaceful but daring, lovely silver sheen.
so are the siamese tigers. i have never seen them before, they look mean
Their mouths are extensible and enormous. They swallow frogs whole.