have i made a mistake?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tessiann

have i made a mistake?

Post by tessiann » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:22 am

I am new to fish keeping and have been very lucky to get a 55 gallon tank (239l), after seeing several peoples aquariums I fell in love with loaches, a visit to my local fish seller, I asked his advice because I wanted otocinclus catfish instead of a plecco, but was worried because of how frail they can be ( I didnt want to kill any ) I asked if he had any yoyo loaches or angelicus he steered me towards the sucking loach, I had never heard of one and he assured me it would do well in my community tank, but when I read up about them I am not so sure, do I now have 3 potential trouble makers in my tank? please be nice I am new to this,
My tank is well planted it also has plenty of bog wood and rocks, the fish in the tank are

5 Danios
6 cherry barbs
3 dwarf neon rainbowfish
3 sucking loaches
(and hoping to add some cardinel tetras)

Teresa

redshark1

Re: have i made a mistake?

Post by redshark1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:45 am

Basically yes. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/g ... aymonieri/

Your tank is too small, they don't like their own kind, they tend to be aggressive to other fish too (more so as they grow), they get large then they hide most of the time. They often don't get enough food and then will attach to other fish in an attempt to avoid starvation.

On the other hand, although they were stunted, I have seen them in other people's tanks and some people love them.

I think retailers make a lot of money selling unsuitable fish to beginners and it pays to do your research thoroughly before purchase by reading and communicating with fellow keepers of the fish in question.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

millsn

Post by millsn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 am

Sucking loaches are awesome. They love to sit on a log and cruise around the tank feeding off the sides. Feed them wafers, cucumber etc and they'll munch on them for ages. I had no trouble with mine (I don't believe the have a reputation of any kind) but did find that they seemed happier on their own i.e. none of their own kind in the tank. They get on fine with Clown loaches for example. Had mine several years and they didnt get huge.

Not sure on the footprint of your tank but 55l does sound small. These fish do like to roam.

tessiann

Post by tessiann » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 am

thanks everyone, I have a 55 GALLON tank, the shop I brought them from has taken them back and apologised ( young lad who sold them is new and will be getting more education) they were put in the wrong area, they were mistakenly put into the community area, I now have 3 yo-yo loaches in the tank, and they are great fun to watch, we are feeding them flakes every day and 1 a week daphnia and brine shrimp, can anyone suggest a treat I can get for them.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I don't have Yoyos I have Clown Loaches and I feed mine Bloodworm and Krill every morning along with Discus Granules in the evening.

I am able to get frozen bloodworm economically in a large sheet the size of an A4 sheet of paper. I break a piece off with pliers, thaw it in a glass of water then sieve it through a net before feeding. i chose pliers which would break off the right size every time.

I take a scoop of Krill Pacifica (the smaller kind of krill), put it in a heat-resistant glass and pour freshly boiled water over it. The Krill soaks up the water and then sinks. I sieve it through a net and feed it to my fish.

You can also feed cucumber and zucchini. I take a thick slice and weigh it down. I use a Screwcumber to weigh it down (google it). I take it out after 24 hours or so before it can decay.

Mussels are supposed to be very good, but I regret I haven't tried them yet. I'll add it to my "to do" list.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm not sure I'd trust yoyos with cardinal tetras. I haven't kept yoyos but 6-8 inch fish can eat 2 inch 1s. Maybe add to your danios & rainbowfish...& maybe another loach or 2. They all do better in groups. Have at least 3 hiding places (wood, rocks etc) for the loaches. It will help them feel secure & avoid fighting over territory. Good luck! & we'd love pics...

kmartinezlloyd

Post by kmartinezlloyd » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 am

Awe3423 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:24 pm
It would be better to separate your fish with different breeds.

https://elmontecustomcabinets.com/
I agree with this one. Have another tank for other breeds as well.

KellyP

Post by KellyP » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:22 pm

Always purchase fish that are roughly the same size as those in your aquarium. When mixing territorial fish, newcomers should be at least the same size as the largest or most aggressive fish already in the tank.Matthew Alexander’s Wedding Photography Security fence supplier

mole in your yard waterfront properties

lemieuxhelmsis

Post by lemieuxhelmsis » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:32 am

They don't like their own kind, they tend to be aggressive toward other fish as well (more so as they grow), and once they become big, they tend to hide most of the time. Your aquarium is too tiny. They frequently don't receive enough food, thus in an effort to prevent starvation, they will adhere to other fish. spray foam insulation lafayette la

wedding photo booth