Help identify this loach !

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joesmith1992

Help identify this loach !

Post by joesmith1992 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:03 am

I got a group of 5 "yoyo" loach about 6 month ago from the same place. I've kinda started to notice that one of these guys kinda looks a bit out of place... :(

Could you help identify this loach and advise on whether it will need more of it's own kind ? From a young fish the loach has always been around yoyo and lives perfectly along with the other yoyos in my tank !

Thanks

Bas Pels

Re: Help identify this loach !

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:05 am

It´s a Botia. I think Botia lohagatha, but you could look through the pictures on this site.

If I´m correct, a yoyo is a Misgurnus - a way other fish. Almost all rules about how to take care of them are different. Again, this site has all the info.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:15 pm

I think it's a yoyo, their patterns change as they grow.

Bas, I'm not sure what you mean about misgurnus (weather loaches)?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 am

Here comes the thing with so called common names, which are all but common.

I thought yoyo = Misgurnis. Apparently, it is not.

Please, use Latin names, in other countries, in some cases even other parts of one´s countrie `common names` can bew different.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Botia almorahe (old name B. lohachata or maybe a slightly different fish?) is what I meant by yoyo. That's from the pattern on younger loaches, it eventually changes & becomes harder to see.

I'd never seen yoyo to mean misgurnus, but I agree about common names being confusing. So can some of the Latin names as they change. I'd just learned to call botia sidthimunki, yasuhikatakia sidthimunki when it was changed again to ambastia. At least that's easier to spell, lol.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 am

Still, if you write Botia sidthimunki everybody will either know waht you write about, or be able to retrieve it.

Common names are, quite often, not that easy to retrieve.