Pangio Anguillaris size

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

misterf1x1t

Pangio Anguillaris size

Post by misterf1x1t » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:16 pm

I managed to get a hold of 6 of these little guys (pangio anguillaris). I'd love to say they're fun to watch but I haven't seen them since the first day.

I didn't expect them to be quite so small. They make my kuhli's look like leviathans. I'm even concerned they may almost look like food to the other fish. Luckily I have lots of hiding places for them, but I hope they're not living in fear.

I see they can get up to 5 inches long. And I can see that since they're pretty long already. I was wondering if they get any plumper.

Bas Pels

Re: Pangio Anguillaris size

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:48 am

Hardly

Their name, anguilaris refers to the common European eel, and this species does reflect them a bit. Smaller in all measures, and therefore not plump at all.

misterf1x1t

Post by misterf1x1t » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info.

I finally got a glimpse of them last night. Apparently they took to digging a hole near some rocks where they poke their heads out. I can only assume they leave their "cave" throughout the night.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:20 am

Yes, they get plumper but it last somes years... and not like an old P. myersi.

This female is round about 15 years old, it measures 11 cm and in the middle the body is 8 mm high.

Thomas

misterf1x1t

Post by misterf1x1t » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 pm

I guess my fears of them being considered food were unfounded. They've come out the past couple of days and nights while I've been around and hang with my other loaches. The mid tank swimmers ignore them. I think I might try to find some more. They're very wriggly and fun to watch

akeveryday

Post by akeveryday » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:48 pm

i've got about 15 anguillaris, and the 5-6inch total adult length isn't far off, though they're indeed much smaller around than the "striped" or brown noodles. :)