Bloated loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kimbo

Bloated loach

Post by kimbo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:19 pm

My loach looks bloated (His whole body with looks like big air pockets near his head) its been like this for 2 weeks, the fish shop are not sure whats happening.
He's(not sure if male or female) in a 51 litre tank with shrimp,and neon tetras.
ph 7.2
Am .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH 7
KH 4
i have had him for around 2 months , previously i had a 21 litre tank and got a bigger tank and transferred him into it with all others, he was doing ok in the smaller tank, but not now. All other fish, shrimp are fine. i have a pic but cant post it??

redshark1

Re: Bloated loach

Post by redshark1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:41 am

Hi I don't personally know what the problem is with your loach but I am sorry to hear of it.

I have had the same water parameters as you have recorded for the last 25 years so I don't think this is your issue.

To show us a picture you must host your photo elsewhere and provide us with a link to it.

Last time I did this I believe it was with Imgur.com

Another thing you can do is search this site and see if someone else has had the same problem.

I wish you good luck in finding the cause and addressing the issue.

Steve.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 pm

What species is your loach? Yes, a pic might help.

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:04 am

it was a kholi loach, saddly it died, the fish shop suggested to put it in another tank with some Epson salts for 10 mins, and i had read that also , so i did, but it died later that night
:(
i think it was too sick

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:03 am

I very sorry your fish died. Sometimes bad stuff happens before we realize it & can do anything to help.

Do you have other loaches? What size tank & other fish do you have? I always take a "time out" with lots of water changes when something unexplained occurs.

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:56 am

I have another 2x kholi loaches + shrimp and tetras in the same tank as the loach that died and they are all fine. i even have berried shrimp so i should have little ones soon :)