125 gallon not big enough for clowns?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Snagrio

125 gallon not big enough for clowns?

Post by Snagrio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:25 pm

I've had clown loaches for years in a 55 gallon (it actually all started with one that came with a 30 gallon and over time one was added and then another two for a total of four). Knew that was far too small for them and finally managed to upgrade and got a 125 gallon, but based on my research even that won't be big enough for the long term. On top of that the system came with a number of big, highly aggressive cichlids and an adult bristlenose pleco (but given they weren't part of the plan I'm already in the process of trying to rehome them except for the pleco, none of the 55 gal fish have moved into it yet as a result).

The thing is, the loaches staying or not has massive ramifications as to the direction of where this tank is going. If I keep them not a whole lot changes, but if I rehome them I'm all but doing a complete overhaul and transforming the 125 into a full planted community with new substrate and lighting and such as it's an opportunity I've yet to have. Did try live years ago and you can imagine how it went given how disruptive clowns are. There are other fish too but they're remnants that I haven't replenished due to how overcrowded things were when they were at full strength (a giant danio, Australian rainbowfish, rainbow shark, a younger bristlenose pleco and two upside-down cats). Really, what I might do if the clowns go is get down to just the plecos and start completely fresh. Keep the plecos in the 55 for a couple weeks so new plants have a chance to take root, then slowly start to create a South American-themed biotype with tetras, hatchets, cories, apple/mystery snails, ect.

And before it's suggested, I cannot keep the 55 running for anything once the 125 is complete. Still live with my folks and my mother is adamant on only one tank operating in the house so it's "do or die" so to speak.

Bas Pels

Re: 125 gallon not big enough for clowns?

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 am

The thing is, clowns can grow to a foot.

Now an active fish like a clown would most certainly need space to swim in, and I would never keep such a large, active fish in anyshing smaller than an 8 feet * 3 feet footprinted tank.

I don´t know how much gallon that is, but if 2 feet high, this is 1296 liters.

If you are Brittish, that would be 308 inperial gallons.in the US it is 321 US gallons. Slightly more, that is.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:13 am

Keep your favourites as these will keep your interest and receive the greatest care.

125 gallons? There are different kinds of gallons.

But either way it will be sufficient for a few Clown Loaches if not perfect.

I have 110 US gallons or 90 UK gallons and my fish have reached 6 to 11.5 inches.

When I started 26 years ago I was recommended much smaller and went larger.

I would agree with the recommended minimum 6' x 2' x 2' here which is 180 US gallons.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:19 pm

I started with planted tanks and as life gets in the way, I had to cut down on that due the maintenance time.

Clown loaches are a lot more joy than a planted tank, at least to me, especially after you've had them for a good few years and learn their characters. Having said that, my clown loach tank is still planted, just not under water but above water. I have hanging pots, roots in the water, plants above. It is still a lovely jungle to view. I just don't need to do anything at all plant wise, the occasional dead leaf, etc.. So it is a bit of both worlds...and very easy to keep. If you're still living at home, I would imagine you would start college etc...Think what you can manage long term...

If you are giving underwater planting a chance, you probably already know it's not an easy task and certainly not the cheapest option, plus one needs lots of time to maintain.

Tank size wise, I see the guys have already commented.