Hillsteam tank refurb

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katy

Hillsteam tank refurb

Post by Katy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Hello All! Has been a long time...

Our current hillstream tank is a standard 55 gallon (US) tank. We are taking a hard look at it and redoing it. This summer we will need to take down the tank to paint the wall behind it, and we started with discussions about a new stand and at what height it should stand to make it best for viewing and maintenance but also access to the window behind it. Which got me looking and scheming... and now I am thinking of replacing the tank altogether with either a 50 long or a 75 long. The 75 long is more than twice as expensive (!), on the other hand, probably a lot better for a real river manifold and amortized over the life of the tank I could start to think of it as affordable :lol: The longer tank would allow for more proportional space between the powerheads and intakes so just that would be more attractive and make it easier to hide the hardware yet still have plenty of fish-viewing. Oh! And this time iron-free glass at least on the front.

I think with an 18" deep tank I would like to have a few inches in the back built up and then with some emersed plants in the back.

I suspect anyone who is still left here on the forum are going to be enablers :) Still, would LOVE thoughts on set-up. Including a more aesthetic hardware situation than our current pvc pipe set-up.

NancyD

Re: Hillsteam tank refurb

Post by NancyD » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 pm

I have a 55g "riverish" tank (no manifold). I like my 75g much more for better scaping & water volume/foot print. I'm not sure of a 50 long size...

Katy

Re: Hillsteam tank refurb

Post by Katy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:46 pm

Well, the 50 long is also just 48 inches, so doesn't really help with flow. We don't need to make any decisions in any hurry, but January in my climate is a good time to plan gardens and fish tanks :D