Release into pond

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Fudgey810

Release into pond

Post by Fudgey810 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

I’ve got a five year old weather loach and I need to get rid of my tank, my friends dad has a huge garden pond and said he’d be happy to take her, would the change of temperature be damaging to her if I release her now in May in the UK?

Bas Pels

Re: Release into pond

Post by Bas Pels » Tue May 18, 2021 2:53 am

This year the temperatures are very low. Normally I´d say go and have fun, especially if you transpoort the fish arond 15 hrs (water is warmest then). But this year you might better wait until June

A problem is, wheather loaches are not native in the UK, but they could survive there. Therefore possession is banned, in order to prevent wheather loaches in nature.

Do make certain the fish in the pond will not have any opportunity to escape.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:02 am

Only Misgurnus fossilis can survive outdoors in Britain and is therefore banned from sale as a result as it could potentially become an invasive species.

It would seem to me most cruel to put an animal into an environment in which it cannot possibly survive.

A donation to an individual or organisation that can care for the animal properly is the only moral course of action.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue May 18, 2021 10:06 am

You imply this wheatherloach cannot be Misgurnus fossilis, as that species is banned

Following that view, you are right not to put the alternative species in a pond