Staghorn algae and Sewellia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JennWren

Staghorn algae and Sewellia

Post by JennWren » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi, I have staghorn algae in my attempt at a hillstream setup. Nothing was eating it even when I used excel on it. One day I noticed bright green leaves coming out of a java wendelov that was smothered in staghorn, didn’t know how. Then one day I noticed my Sewellia Albisuera wiggling about on the plant eating the staghorn! (Go on girl) Must have been at least 4-5 months before she started eating it. Eventually my Sewellia Lineolata noticed what she was doing and now they both go round eating the staghorn algae off my plants. Brilliant!

Are Sewellia known to eat Staghorn algae?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Re: Staghorn algae and Sewellia

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:52 am

You won't believe this, but I went to Big Al's yesterday and they had some hillstream loaches (species not specified) eating what looked very much like staghorn algae! Seems like yours aren't alone.

Of course, every fish has different tastes (just like people), so others' hillstreams may not like it as much as yours and the ones I had saw.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

JennWren

Re: Staghorn algae and Sewellia

Post by JennWren » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:12 am

So cool! I’m thankful as struggling to get rid of the stuff..

My Sewellia Albisuera eats my White Cloud Mountain Minnows eggs too, she tried eating bladder snail eggs but they had too much jelly.

Fascinating watching them

Thanks for reply x