Help identifying a loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crdguy

Help identifying a loach

Post by Crdguy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 am

Hello all, my first post on the site.

A few days ago I bought a loach from my LFS. The shop owner didn't even know how it got in the shop. Uploaded are some photos I took of the loach. Could anyone help with identifying this loach? I will note that in the LFS, it sat around a lot but occasionally hid in a piece of wood. In my tank, the loach mostly hides (I don't know how, and I cannot find where) but on the first day I got it, the loach was "hovering" around the tank which seemed unusual.

Thanks

MultipleTankSyndrome

Re: Help identifying a loach

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 am

Welcome to Loaches Online crdguy! That looks like a sun loach to me, you can compare it to the Loaches Online picture of a sun loach.

https://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-eos
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

Crdguy

Post by Crdguy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:51 am

MultipleTankSyndrome wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 am
Welcome to Loaches Online crdguy! That looks like a sun loach to me, you can compare it to the Loaches Online picture of a sun loach.

https://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-eos
Hello, thanks for the reply. I thought it could be a sun loach as well, but the fins are not red. Not sure if this could be due to stress from moving tanks. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the colour returns.

Crdguy

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 am

The hovering you mention is I believe a sign of stress. Small Clown Loaches do it when first introduced. Not to be too down on your purchase but I feel obliged to offer the following. The loach you have purchased is a nocturnal species that you are unlikely to see often (especially as a social animal kept singly). I would warn that having an aggressive nocturnal fish can be very disruptive to diurnal tank inhabitants so watch out for this as you might otherwise be totally unaware of what your other fish are having to put up with at night.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Crdguy

Post by Crdguy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:57 am

redshark1 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 am
The hovering you mention is I believe a sign of stress. Small Clown Loaches do it when first introduced. Not to be too down on your purchase but I feel obliged to offer the following. The loach you have purchased is a nocturnal species that you are unlikely to see often (especially as a social animal kept singly). I would warn that having an aggressive nocturnal fish can be very disruptive to diurnal tank inhabitants so watch out for this as you might otherwise be totally unaware of what your other fish are having to put up with at night.
Hello redshark1, thanks for the reply.

I've been trying to watch the loach for a while and I have found he hides in a decoration for the whole day, not even coming out at feeding time. I have however spotted him coming out very rarely, mostly at night.

It seems like a sad life for the fish. I could remove the decoration he hides in, but that probably wouldn't help him settle in. I could give him back to the aquarium store, but I worry he will end up in the same situation again in another tank.

Otherwise, I haven't noticed any bites on my loaches and other fish although I do have no idea what the loach gets up to at night. It does worry me though that he could be stressing out the other fish.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I hope it goes well.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

emmaorabelle

Post by emmaorabelle » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 am

I appreciate your comments. Wishing it success.  tunnel rush