Weather loach tank size

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MultipleTankSyndrome

Weather loach tank size

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:31 pm

One thing I notice is that the minimum tank size (at least lengthwise) for weather loaches as given on this site is 122 cm, while for clown loaches it is 183 cm.
This discrepancy is curious to me. The largest specimens of both will reach a size of 20-30 cm as adults (so size alone suggests they need similarly sized tanks), both should be kept in groups, and both are fairly active (with weather loaches in fact being more active than clown loaches! That certainly doesn't line up with the 122 cm tank).
So I wonder if anyone knows why the minimum tank size for weather loaches isn't 183 cm or something close to it given all of the above.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

Bas Pels

Re: Weather loach tank size

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Misgurnis are lender fish while Chromobortia are very bulky. That could very well explain the 1.5 times larger tank

Further, as far as I know, Chromobotia can be quite agressive, while Misgurnis are not, or for less. To me this 183 cm (I think it was originally 6 feet) is therefore a rather small tank for them. I'd say 2.4 meters - or 8 feet, if you want, would suit them much better.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks Bas. You are correct on the conversions of metric/imperial, as well as how much more bulk clown loaches have.
The point on greater bulk is likely true to an extent, since the lesser bulk does mean that lesser overall space would be needed to accomodate it. If I see anything that appears to have to do with this when I get my weather loaches, I'll report back to update the thread.

As for the rest of what you said: Is 'aggressive' referring to temperament, or something along the lines of aggressively active?
I have not experienced either with my clown loaches, although I can think of a possible explanation for the latter, relating to where they were collected.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... st-6244685
I believe that for the most part the only time the rivers and streams are really fast flowing is during the rainy season. There are CL's that supposedly live year round in Sentarum Lake, which certainly isn't fast flowing, more like a big massive swamp. http://www.gallery-kapuashulu.org/topic ... ional-park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDRQrSpqvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ9oFXkB_xg&NR=1
RD has a good point on the varying habitats of clown loaches. My guess is that those who live in the rivers (which are fast flowing at least some of the time) would be more aggressively active fish than the ones that live in the calm-watered lakes/swamps, given the at least occasional fast-flowing nature of their habitat.

This makes me suspect mine may have been collected from a lake or swamp. They forage the bottom of their 1.83m tank at a slow to moderate pace (not that I'd call them sedentary, they are active but just not fast), very seldom aggressively active and certainly not aggressive tempered, which makes me think they'd be just fine in that tank even at 20-30 cm adult size.

With that said, however, your point of a 1.83m tank being too small for riverine clown loaches and a 2.4m tank being a better choice might be true (since they'd likely be more aggressive/active/etc due to being riverine). It is also a bit true for lacustrine loaches, even though for the reasons above they'd be fine in 1.83m, since no matter the fish the larger the tank the better even when the smaller tank is enough space anyway (as in 2.4m vs 1.83m).

And thanks again for commenting.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 am

With regard to riverine of swampy loaches - Chromobotia is said to be a migratory species.

I never was on Sumatra, I can't say from experience, but assuming this in fo is correct, there are no sapmpy or riverine fishes - they are all riverine. But some of them not yet.

polinkuer12

Post by polinkuer12 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:44 pm

I really want to visit Sumatra once to explore amazing things
Quick Draw

jesse99

Post by jesse99 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:02 pm

I think it is because the clown loaches are strong swimmers and spend a significant amount of time in open water areas,Buckshot Roulette hence the longer tank requirement, meanwhile weather loaches tend to utilize burrows and hiding spaces more and may not require as much open swimming space as clown loaches.