Is this Gastromyzon zebrinus?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Anketh31

Is this Gastromyzon zebrinus?

Post by Anketh31 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 am

Hi all,

I recently bought a few Gastromyzon labelled as G. ctenophalus, which it's not I believe. I think it is the Gastromyzon zebrinus, can anyone confirm that for me?

The bigger one has some hints of blue in its caudal fin. The other two don't have that and are a bit smaller. They are very dark in colour, it is almost impossible to see any kind of markings, except some verticals strips on the back. On the pictures they are lighter in colour due to them being stressed. But now that they are acclimatized to the aquarium they are back to being very dark and even in colour.

Kind regards,
Anke

NancyD

Re: Is this Gastromyzon zebrinus?

Post by NancyD » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:07 pm

I had ctenos & they didn't look like your fish. I'm not good at hillstream IDs but I'd say yours could be zebrinus. Hopefully someone more knowlegeable will help. You might post on facebook loachfanatics. It takes a while to be approved...

Anketh31

Post by Anketh31 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:45 am

Thanks for your reply! I am confident that it is not the Ctenophalus. I will wait and see if someone else knows what kind of Gastromyzon this is. I asked for membership to your suggested Facebook group, lets see how long it takes for me to be approved haha.

Eika

Post by Eika » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:16 am

I've got one very similar to this and my friend has another 4, they seem to be arriving en masse the last six months or so. I've tentatively identified mine as zebrinus and would say the same for yours.
Eika
New Zealand