Angelicus Botia adult size

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Coleio

Angelicus Botia adult size

Post by Coleio » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:34 pm

I joined this forum simply to ask if six Angelicus Botia loaches would be comfortable in a 55 gallon tank when full grown? I can't find any conclusive information on how large they are full grown. The information I can find on these loaches cite a range of 3-6 inches at adult size. I do not enjoy watching large fish in small quarters so I was thinking I would just get 8-12 dwarf chain loaches but they are so hard to find. It's kind of a moot point now, my LFS had Angelicus Botias and they were super fun to watch so I got impatient and now I have the six Angelicus Loaches. Did I make a mistake?

NancyD

Re: Angelicus Botia adult size

Post by NancyD » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:11 pm

Welcome to LOL

No, I don't think you made a mistake, I think 6 b. kubotai will be fine in a 55g. I have yet to keep them but at ~5 inches you should be ok :) They're on my short wish list.

I have kept sids & you could have had even more. Next time, next tank?

What other fish will you keep with the kubotai? Can you post pics? We'd love to see!

Eika

Post by Eika » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:13 am

Another vote for they'll be fine. I've seen them up to around 5" and think they'd be happily entertained as a group, with enough speed to race around in a 50gal.

Plus they grow slowly so who knows, you may well have a different tank in the years it takes to get them to that size!
Eika
New Zealand

MultipleTankSyndrome

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Haven't been here in a while but I agree with everyone else. They usually only end up at 13-15 cm, so based on that (and AqAdvisor too), 208 liters is likely enough.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

Coleio

Post by Coleio » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear they grow slowly. I have them in with tiger barbs (don't freak out everyone), a bristlenose pleco and five dwarf chain loaches I bought from an online store (eight arrived but only 5 survived the quarantine tank). I let my kids decide the main fish for the tank and that is what they wanted. The tank is very heavily planted and I've had them together for almost a month and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the barbs. They don't put up with crap from any fish. Except for each other, man they can really spar with each other. I freaked out the first time I saw it, really thought they were going to kill each other but then they were fine. Thankfully they seemed to only do it in the beginning to establish their hierarchy. They're like a pack of puppies and really the barbs are having to eat around them. I love the click clacking when they eat too. That was also unexpected. I was just able to add a hillstream loach from my LFS. So I have a fun active tank. I cannot figure out how to post photos. They are skittish and very fast moving so I haven't had much success anyway.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:14 pm

Happy we could help. No worries on the Burmese loaches fighting, you're correct that it's merely hierarchial.

Do keep us updated, as that sounds like a lively tank!
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:35 pm

I think you have to use a photo hosting site to post pics. This site uses an old format, no easy phone or camera option I guess. I wouldn't know I just got a smart-ish phone & haven't figured it out yet. We'd love to see!

I think tiger barbs aren't a bad choice for a botia tank. How many do you have? 8-10 or so will probably be ok in a 4ft tank. Watch out they & the other loaches don't pick on your hilly. What kind did you get? Make sure it can get enough food with those more aggressive feeders.