Gastromyzon ID: Somewhere between ocellatus and zebrinus?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Eika

Gastromyzon ID: Somewhere between ocellatus and zebrinus?

Post by Eika » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:05 am

Hi all

Long time no post! The forum seems quiet these days, although I've noticed a sudden surge of hillstream fanatics in my local fish groups, so perhaps they'll bleed across into here as well.

Hoping somebody could advise on an ID for this wee gastro please.
The tail end is very occellated but the stripes continue all up to the head with no spotted area, so I don't believe it is an ocellatus. Barring too narrow for a viriosis. Is it a weird zebrinus or something else?

I've attached a link as I still am not sure how to add photos to these posts directly.

https://m.imgur.com/a/GecxhAi

Apologies for the blurry photos as ever :D

Cheers
Eika
New Zealand

NancyD

Re: Gastromyzon ID: Somewhere between ocellatus and zebrinus?

Post by NancyD » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:13 pm

Hi Eika, I don't have an opinion on your fish. But if you join Facebook loachfanatics you may get a better answer. You may have to wait a few days to be approved but it's a more active site than this 1 (sniffle). I miss the old LOL days, I'm not much of a facebooker.

Eika

Post by Eika » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Thanks Nancy,.will have a look!

RE the ID, I ended up emailing Dr Tan who said he has a few like this one in his collection, they are a bit tricky to place but he tentatively lumps them in with G zebrinus.
Eika
New Zealand

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 am

No better authority than Dr. Tan! But still, offer up your pics on FB loach fanatics. There are some very knowledgeable folks there too. They may have more or different insights. Fish can have so many variations, it can be hard to say exactly what species they may be. Good luck!