question about zebra loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

donwynne

question about zebra loaches

Post by donwynne » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:53 am

So I am looking at getting zebra loaches. I had dwarf chain or Sid's loaches before and absolutely loved them. I loved how active they were always swimming in the glass and coming to the surface to get food. It always looked like they were dancing in the middle of the tank when they were hungry. Just fun fish.

So I was was wondering if I will get similar personality out of zebra loaches as I did from dwarf chain?

NancyD

Re: question about zebra loaches

Post by NancyD » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:39 pm

My zebras (striatas) were more shy than sids. I only had 6 in with 10 sids in a 75g. They danced at water changes & came out for food. They lived 3 zebras with 5 sids at each end of the tank. Might be different with only zeebs, maybe 8 or so. But they tend to shyness I hear from others too. Also they grow very slowly. I had rasbora petensis for dithers & maybe harlequins too.

Another species to consider are b. histrionica. More people interactive IME. I had 7 in a 55g in a room I only fish watched in. They always came out to see if I was feeding or just visiting. They grew from 1+ inch or so to 3+ in a year, more slowly after that to 5 in. It can be hard to tell them from similar loaches when small. I think there's an article in the old LOL species index (no longer linked here)

Or maybe b. kubotai, I haven't kept them (yet). At 4 inches you could have fewer but maybe a move active tank. Just a thought

storkshrouds

Post by storkshrouds » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:14 am

There were three adult zebras and five young ones living in the tank. With just zeebs present, things may be different. But from what I've heard, they have a tendency towards timidity. The growth rate isdriving directions also relatively modest. Dithers and maybe harlequins were among the rasbora petensis that I kept.

visoraccuse

Post by visoraccuse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:56 pm

storkshrouds wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:14 am
There were three adult zebras and five young ones living in the tank. With just zeebs present, things may be different. But from what I've heard, they have a tendency towards timidity. The growth rate is also relatively modest. Dithers and maybe harlequins were among the rasbora petensis that I kept.connections game
I really admire you for owning it.

katyswift468

Post by katyswift468 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:10 am

If so, they would be ok in a 30 gal. It would just depend on how many other fish are in the tank and the layout. retro bowl college