Mixed-species loach tanks

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MultipleTankSyndrome

Mixed-species loach tanks

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 pm

Wondering who else has 3 or more loach species together in a tank?
When the tank is large enough to accommodate sizable groups of several species, the concept of doing that is very intriguing to me (it is how my planned 473 liter loach tank in my signature will be stocked after all). In that tank, the effect from all the different species will surely be amazing.

Some of the best examples I have seen here on Loaches Online so far:

-Martin Thoene's tank. Clown loaches, Burmese loaches, golden zebra loaches, and Bengal loaches. Also, his clown loaches used to be with yoyo loaches and zebra loaches.

-Bookpage's tank. Clown loaches, dwarf chain loaches, sumo loaches, skunk loaches, red tail loaches, Burmese loaches, zebra loaches, yoyo loaches, golden zebra loaches.

-Emma Turner's display tank at work. Clown loaches, zebra loaches, Burmese loaches, golden zebra loaches, Bengal loaches.

Can't wait to hear about who else is stocking their loach tanks like so!
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)

Bas Pels

Re: Mixed-species loach tanks

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 pm

I have a 177 * 45 * 40 cm tank, populated with

11 Botia almorhae (?)
5 Acantopsis choirhonhynchius
6 Nemacheilus longistriatus
9 Trigonopoma pauciperforatum
9 Rasbora borapetensis

The question mark relates to the uncertaincy of the species. After all, a lot of species are similar to B almorhae

MultipleTankSyndrome

Re: Mixed-species loach tanks

Post by MultipleTankSyndrome » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:28 am

Nice mix, lots of variety for sure. The differences between the horseface, torpedo, and yoyo loaches especially, they are probably the biggest contributors to the variety.

You are correct that there are many similar species to yoyo loaches, which does lead to uncertainty. Botia birdi is one of the most similar, for example.
473 liter - pictus catfish, smallscale archerfish, planned pumpkinseed sunfish
110 liter - green neon+cardinal tetras
473 liter - roseline sharks, striped kuhli+black kuhli+Burmese loaches, zebra/weather/neon kuhli loaches (planned)