New Member with Sewellia Lineolata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

nick1982

New Member with Sewellia Lineolata

Post by nick1982 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:38 am

Hi everyone. I'm new here and interested to learn more.

I have just added a single Sewellia Lineolata (female I believe) to my 20G long aquarium.

After much thinking I decided in the end to add one initially and see how that went.

Initially she was very shy and hid most of the time which is understandable when getting used to her new surroundings.

The she started to venture out a bit and started to get bugged by my neocaridina who seemed intent on climbing on top of her! I found this very strange.

Also I have 4 Platies and about 5 Platy fry in the tank and the dominant Platy took an interest in her including "pecking" at her a little bit. This had me worried and I started to think that getting a couple more Sewellia in ASAP might give safety in numbers.

After a couple of days things seem to have settled and she is not getting bothered as much by her tankmates. The Platies come and have a look at her occasionally but seem to have accepted her. The shrimp still occasionally approach her but she seems to have learned to nudge them away or she moves away.

I would still say she is fairly shy but she gets out and about exploring the rocks and the glass surfaces. She seems to have found a little "cave" to retreat to as well.

What I was wondering and would appreciate some advice on is whether I am good to stick with just one or should I add another one or two friends.

I think 3 would be the maximum I could justify in my tank and I am aware there can be problems with keeping 2.

Also are there ideal ratios? I would imagine two males to one female would cause potential issues.

3 females?

2 females & 1 male?

Would just 2 females work as they may be less territorial?

I am also open to sticking with one if there is no big benefit to having a small group.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated

nick1982

Re: New Member with Sewellia Lineolata

Post by nick1982 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:44 am

Just for reference my tank is cold water, runs an internal filter with spray bar and also a modified twin sponge pat mini filter at the other end.
I have 2 mature driftwood pieces with a dense jungle of java moss, one mature driftwood with java fern, various anubias and cryptocoryne plants among a good selection of stacked river rocks. Substrate is black sand.

Hopefully this should be a suitable home for Sewellia, it's not a river tank setup but has a bit of flow and hopefully oxygenation.

I haven't particularly noticed my Sewellia favouring the area directly below the spray bar where flow and air bubbles are at their peak.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:44 pm

I can only add my limited experience keeping sewellia lineolata. But they breed with survivors sometimes!

I keep mine in an unheated 55g (4ft) tank. I have 2 HOB filters (AC 70s) & a powerhead along the back (Maxijet 1200). I have plants, mostly cryptocorines, "jungle val" & bolbitus but lots of pesty java moss & duckweed. I started with 8 tank bred fry. They were used to Repashy Soilent Green gel food so that's what I mostly feed. They also graze on plants, glass algae & some flakes.

The problem I see with your 20g is sewellia prefer fairly soft water, platys hard & that platys breed like crazy. Both are pretty adaptable within reason. I kept ctenocephalus (another hillstream loach), regular whiteclouds & Vietnamese white clouds & stiphodon gobies with mine. They, except 1 goby, have died out over 10 years.

I think you'd be best off having at least a 20g long for 3-5 sewellia, bigger is better. I'm not a fan of livebearers, they just breed & survive too well...& I prefer loaches, lol.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:42 am

I only have experience with what I believe were Hillstream Loach (Gastromyzon borneensis). I added three to a 4ft moderate flow tank with sand and self-collected driftwood covered with Java Fern and stocked with peaceful fish including Corydoras, Whiptail, Bulldog Plec, large shoal of African Glass Catfish etc.

I posted to warn you not to allow the possibility of your fish escaping the tank. It saddened me greatly when two out of my three crawled out and were found desiccated. Happily the third was prevented from following the others and lived in this excellent aquarium for a total of 12 years and brought me much joy (I keep careful records).
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

nick1982

Post by nick1982 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:30 am

NancyD wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:44 pm
I can only add my limited experience keeping sewellia lineolata. But they breed with survivors sometimes!

I keep mine in an unheated 55g (4ft) tank. I have 2 HOB filters (AC 70s) & a powerhead along the back (Maxijet 1200). I have plants, mostly cryptocorines, "jungle val" & bolbitus but lots of pesty java moss & duckweed. I started with 8 tank bred fry. They were used to Repashy Soilent Green gel food so that's what I mostly feed. They also graze on plants, glass algae & some flakes.

The problem I see with your 20g is sewellia prefer fairly soft water, platys hard & that platys breed like crazy. Both are pretty adaptable within reason. I kept ctenocephalus (another hillstream loach), regular whiteclouds & Vietnamese white clouds & stiphodon gobies with mine. They, except 1 goby, have died out over 10 years.

I think you'd be best off having at least a 20g long for 3-5 sewellia, bigger is better. I'm not a fan of livebearers, they just breed & survive too well...& I prefer loaches, lol.
Yes the Platies actually belong to my daughter and are 4 females. When large enough to determine sex of the fry I plan to give away any males to hopefully prevent any further fry.

I need to try some of the repashy soilent green, I have heard good things.

My tank is a 20g long and I think I would limit myself to 3 Sewellia total. 2 would be good however I worry that might lead to one dominating the other.

nick1982

Post by nick1982 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 am

redshark1 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:42 am
I only have experience with what I believe were Hillstream Loach (Gastromyzon borneensis). I added three to a 4ft moderate flow tank with sand and self-collected driftwood covered with Java Fern and stocked with peaceful fish including Corydoras, Whiptail, Bulldog Plec, large shoal of African Glass Catfish etc.

I posted to warn you not to allow the possibility of your fish escaping the tank. It saddened me greatly when two out of my three crawled out and were found desiccated. Happily the third was prevented from following the others and lived in this excellent aquarium for a total of 12 years and brought me much joy (I keep careful records).
Thanks for the advice! I have certainly taken this into account and it is a woRry.

The tank does have a rim with a reasonable overhang on the inside so hopefully this will be sufficient. There were two tiny gaps at the back to accommodate extra wires and I have temporarily filled these gaps with cotton wool until I find a better solution.

12 years is a good innings, did the lone one seem happy enough? That is my main concern whether my currently lone Sewellia would be a lot happier with another 1 or 2 of its kind.

My local store had a decent number of them so getting more shouldn't be an issue when I get a chance.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm

nick, I would try for 2 females & 1 male. They don't really fight like some fish, more just some pushing & a little chasing. 10-12 of mine often sleep in a non-touching group on the front glass. That makes me think they enjoy each others company. Get a couple more

I have a rimmed tank & never had any sewellia climb out. Mine is not tightly covered, in fact the glass lid is often left open. Of course it may be different for you.

I like your platy control method but some livebearers can store sperm for months...& I'm not sure at what size males can breed...probably by the time you can tell, lol. I understand about them being your daughter's fish. I usually suggest keeping only males but too late for your tank now...Good luck!

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:32 am

My lone fish was a lively and able competitor in this community of small gentle fish of benign temperament.

This was a very healthy tank that never suffered any diseases or other problems.

My Clown Loach aquarium has had no diseases in 27 years either.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

nick1982

Post by nick1982 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:48 am

NancyD wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm
nick, I would try for 2 females & 1 male. They don't really fight like some fish, more just some pushing & a little chasing. 10-12 of mine often sleep in a non-touching group on the front glass. That makes me think they enjoy each others company. Get a couple more

I have a rimmed tank & never had any sewellia climb out. Mine is not tightly covered, in fact the glass lid is often left open. Of course it may be different for you.

I like your platy control method but some livebearers can store sperm for months...& I'm not sure at what size males can breed...probably by the time you can tell, lol. I understand about them being your daughter's fish. I usually suggest keeping only males but too late for your tank now...Good luck!
Thanks, I might well try that.

She was out all last night going between the glass and rocks and didn't seem bothered by tankmates at all.

I have read various things about Sewellia Lineolata and most say they are peaceful but there does seem to be the occasional report of a bully. I suppose they all have different personalities. One of the Platies is a bit of a bully at times and she initially seemed to take a dislike or just curiosity towards the Sewellia. She seems to largely ignore it now as do all the others.

In terms of the Platies, yes we were poorly advised when we purchased them that it was best to go all females. I have since been told otherwise several times!

I think if any other fry spring up in the future I will just give them away. One of my local stores actually have a fry tank where they accept livebearer fry back from customers. Quite an interesting tank :lol:

Ours have had a few batches of fry with the odd survivor. We have one who was a lone survivor and is now getting close to adult size and the rest are quite small. The numbers actually dwindled a bit in the last week, I did notice the "bully" Platy had started chasing them more aggressively, so she probably got a few.

The first few fry I found I separated into a smaller container but in my inexperience they all died due to it being uncycled. I have since upgraded the aquarium and got into live plants, driftwood and rocks which seems to help the survival rate.

It's a difficult balance between controlling numbers and not upsetting my daughter who loves them! She's only 5

nick1982

Post by nick1982 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:59 am

redshark1 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:32 am
My lone fish was a lively and able competitor in this community of small gentle fish of benign temperament.

This was a very healthy tank that never suffered any diseases or other problems.

My Clown Loach aquarium has had no diseases in 27 years either.
That's great that it did so well as the only one. I am very much undecided, as watching mine last night it seemed perfectly happy grazing on its own.

keeping an aquarium running healthy for 27 years is an impressive feat. I've only been keeping fish a year now. It always appealed to me since I was young but just never did. We got the Platies for my daughter last year and I have really taken an interest in it.

One concern I do have with adding more Sewellia is that it is less biofilm/algae/organisms to go around. Seeing as my Sewellia has shown no interest at feeding time so far I am still a bit paranoid. She actually goes into hiding at feeding time when I open lid. It has only been less than a week however so she's probably still settling in.

I plan to try some courgette (zucchini) soon and I've heard repashy and bug bites bottom dwellers is good. I also have a supply of river rocks that I keep in the old aquarium, I top it up sometimes with tank water from the main tank. So I could drop different rocks in at times to supply food.