Sand stuck to loaches body?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

CheeseSticklover99

Sand stuck to loaches body?

Post by CheeseSticklover99 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if it's normal for my sand substrate to sometimes be stuck to my dojo loaches back or side?
I cannot find anything online about it.
It doesn't happen all the time but I recently got my hand in there and tried to brush it off. Came off easy. I've seen a patch of sand stuck in the same spot for 2 days before and then disappear. Like I said it comes and goes.

The dojos are healthy and happy, all normal behavior.
I'm wondering if it's the brand of substrate?
It's petcos imagitarium aquatic sand.
I have another tank with Carib sea super naturals aquatic sand and don't have this issue with my other loaches.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!! Thank you :)

redshark1

Re: Sand stuck to loaches body?

Post by redshark1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:23 am

I've not come across that problem being discussed before.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

CheeseSticklover99

Post by CheeseSticklover99 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:55 pm

Thank you everyone, I'll be getting new substrate next month for sure and will post updates. I'm still learning how to add photos but if you're able here is a link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmHe8InvMcx/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmHgGJ6PyY_/

There isn't a lot of sand stuck to their bodies at the moment but you can see a little bit. Sometimes it is stuck in patches maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch big. It looks like the sand is just resting on top of his back, but it's not.
Thanks 😊

ChanelLeuschke

Post by ChanelLeuschke » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:44 am

Thank you to everyone; I will provide updates as I receive new substrate in the upcoming month. I'm currently learning how to add photos, but here's a link if you're able to: monkey mart

tracyberge

Post by tracyberge » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:48 am

That is normal. Flappy Bird

mariahcarey

Post by mariahcarey » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:21 pm

As long as your dojo loaches are healthy and behaving normally, there's no need to be overly concerned. Just keep an eye on them, monitor their behavior, and ensure that your water parameters are appropriate for their needs. If you notice any signs of distress, like unusual behavior, rapid breathing, or changes in appetite, then further investigation may be necessary.wordle

madelinegarrison

Post by madelinegarrison » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:24 pm

The heat and salt will help the fin rot in all likelihood. Yeah, it does get worse before better, so the fact that you see more spots is a good.dinosaur game