Loach comes over and turns upside down?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

duncansargent

Loach comes over and turns upside down?

Post by duncansargent » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:48 am

I have a 14" Orange Loach called Reggie. He is quite a character always seems happy to see me, I guess because I feed him. He is a very eager feeder always wanting to take food from my hand even when I don't have any and am just for example taking his pump filters out to clean.
But recently I have noticed that he has taken to swimming over, then after taking his food he turns upside down and just floats upside down for a while. Not sure why he is doing this as he always seems pleased to see me and appears to like having his chin and tummy stroked.
Anyone know why he has suddenly started to do this after feeding?
Thank you.

NancyD

Re: Loach comes over and turns upside down?

Post by NancyD » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 pm

Do you have a guess as to what loach species Reggie is? I don't I'm sorry to say...Pictures? 14 inches is pretty darn big...I don't know

Everyone likes a petable fish, LOL, especially us loach lovers! Well, I want to know! What species is Reggie? Take your best shot!

I had a pet bird named Reggie...he was Oh so petable & purred. I think we need some pics of your loach

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:18 am

Please tell me what species Reggie is.

I'd like to know what kind of bird purrs. :wink:
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:07 pm

My Reggie was a Quaker (monk) parakeet I adopted when I did wild bird rehab many years ago. He was "wild caught" but I think he was someone's escaped pet. After a week or 2 we knew he wasn't able to be released into a Quaker flock, his wing damage was too much for him to keep up with them. But he could fly a little.

He could almost talk after a week or 2. "Uh Oh" was when he didn't know where to land safely & needed a helping hand rescue from the window blinds, etc. "Want Some" was his almost begging for pretty much any people foods we allowed. He was very spoiled in many ways. "Hi Reggie" was his greeting even with house guests if they spoke to him first after a day or 2. My husband taught him the Bevis & Butthead laugh while I was away 1 time...but luckily he never did it on the phone after I got home. Bad boys left on their own? Goodness knows what they ate...Somethings are just not worth knowing...(sigh)

But after a few months we became "extra special" friends, lol. He liked to be petted on his head, neck, back, sides, almost anywhere! & he made a sound like purring especially when he was getting into sleepy mode. Not for casual friends, just "family", I was his very special bestest friend but my husband was #2 if I was unavailable.

He also did a year of some kind of "hormonal rage". I wasn't sure we could keep him, he bit HARD, often! & screamed a lot.

We kept several birds, mostly lovebirds, but Reggie was our last & maybe most treasured bird friend. I'm tearing up thinking about him. I don't think I'll ever keep birds again. Reggie & our very first lovebird, Phoebe, were amazing experiences over 25? ish years of bird keeping. Not as long as our fish keeping years but much more of an "in depth" relationship. Some pets are more interactive & rewarding than others.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:13 am

Hi your account was very interesting thankyou. These are very special animals.

I understand that they are often released here in England when people cannot cope with them.

Recently a colony of Ring-necked Parakeets has established near to where I live in a park and I have been visiting them. In winter 24 of them were roosting together in a single tree. In summer they disperse to breed.

Nothing seems to be being done about them by the authorities and generally they are spreading.

Some people seem to hate anything foreign, but the main authorities on birds suggest that they are not causing native wildlife significant problems.

People enjoy hand feeding them in the London Parks.

The government have had a successful programme of eradicating Monk Parakeets, because of the threat to farmers apparently.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 pm

There were native Carolina parakeets (conures) in the US but the were hunted to extinction by farmers for their crop damage. All gone by 1939.

There are several colonies of many bird species not native here including in very cold places like Chicago if you're familar with US geography.

I would be careful hand feeding "wild" birds of any kind. A friend got some eye disease from hand feeding pigeons in Europe. I don't remember what it was but it was hard for his Drs to figure out. There aren't too many zoonotic diseases we can catch but there are some. I used to be very careful when I worked with wild birds & had pet birds at home. Wash your hands ASAP if you handle any wildlife!!!

I agree that it's better to not have non-native birds or any other critters. Some are released intentionally, some accidentally escape captivity. & some like pigeons & rats are everywhere, nobody even knows where exactly they came from originally. Both can carry diseases, yuck!

In bird rehab non natives were given lesser care compared to natives when busy baby season was in full swing. They were sometimes sent home with volunteers. To me & others starlings & house sparrows were especially of concern. They are cavity nesters & much tougher than some of our native cavity nesters (chickadees, bluebirds, woodpeckers, etc). It's funny, I bird watched in England 1 visit & never saw either species. But they were released in the US so we could have all birds mentioned in Shakespeare (I think in New York).

Monk parakeets are illegal to keep in some states as are weather loaches...they just might survive...I moved to a state where Reggie was illegal. Had we been caught, I would have argued he couldn't fly well enough to start a colonly (& besides he liked sweat socks in "that way" lol, TMI).

Sorry duncansargent to go all birdy with your loach thread. I would really love to see pics of your Reggie & I'm sure others would too. Is he a really big clown loach? redshark has some big clowns, what, 26 years old now? If your Reggie is a clown, his upsidedown behavior might be normal-ish. We'd love to hear & see more about him, he sounds great!

NomadicNeptune92

Post by NomadicNeptune92 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:10 pm

This thread is getting me into birds when I joined this forum to learn more about loaches haha

JolieKeva

Post by JolieKeva » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:43 pm

These animals are quite extraordinary. There are numerous colonies of non-native bird species, including those in very cold locations such as Chicago, if you are familiar with the geography of the United States watermelon game

mariarivera

Post by mariarivera » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi duncansargent,
It's great to hear that Reggie is such a friendly and eager feeder. The behavior of swimming over and then floating upside down after feeding might be a sign of discomfort or a health issue. It's best to keep an eye on him and consider consulting with a veterinarian who specializes in fish if the behavior continues.
Best regards,
rice purity test