Poor appetite help

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

hamfist

Re: Poor appetite help

Post by hamfist » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:09 pm

NancyD wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:39 pm
Well, sometimes there's no accounting for tastes in people or in clown loaches, LOL. I would maybe try once more with the mussels but for a shorter time frame before you remove it...I like that you keep your clowns a tiny bit cool but that can have an effect too. Just another area you might tweek...in a slow & careful way.

I would love to hear how your clowns react going forward...with foods, temp, etc. Update us as things change, hopefully for the better!
Just an update after a few months. I decided to simply persevere with quality pellets. They did get a taste for prawn eventually for but it was Hella messy in the tank so I am sticking with just dried foods.
Every loach has now become a pellet monster and they all wait at the front of the tank to be fed. So good news, and patience was all that was needed in the end.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:40 pm

That's great you found an easy to feed food for your clowns. What brand is it? A food greeting & frenzy is always fun!

It can be fun to offer a special food treat sometimes. I do it a couple hours before a big water change but not often anymore, too messy.

hamfist

Post by hamfist » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:25 am

NancyD wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:40 pm
That's great you found an easy to feed food for your clowns. What brand is it? A food greeting & frenzy is always fun!

It can be fun to offer a special food treat sometimes. I do it a couple hours before a big water change but not often anymore, too messy.
The pellets are Vitalis 1mm tropical pellets - I believe this make be a UK-oriented brand. Decent quality and the pellets come soft and squishy, which I am convinced makes them much more palatable to many fish. There is already other food going in for other fish, so they get some variety. I am bit loathe to persevere with frozen or fresh food "treats" as I am unconvinced of the dietary need and the only thing some of them seem to like is prawn, which is a messy meal (for them anyway - they are not efficient eaters of it).
All is well with my little loachy family !