So my tanks dead........

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Setsuna

So my tanks dead........

Post by Setsuna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:20 am

As some of you might remember, I had Ich trouble recently. Well the ich combined with an unexplainable snail infestation (had no snails in the tank before the ich) has completely killed everything in my tank.

But as narky as I am about that, I figure this gives me the perfect chance to choose different fish. I've completely stripped my tank and am boiling the driftwood and gravel and pretty much everything that was in that tank.

My LFS has gotten in sids and clowns for the first time, and much as I want them both I know I'd never fit clowns in there happily. The tank is 1'wide by 1'deep by 2'tall approx 60L. If I can have sids, how many could I have? If I couldnt apart from kuhlies are there any other loaches I could have in there?

I'm debating whether to ditch the gravel I currently have and go for either smaller gravel or sand. Any suggestions?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 am

Oh wow! Bad news....that's rotten.

It doesn't get better either.....Your tank to be honest is totally unsuitable for any loaches. If it was 2 feet long, by 1 foot by 1 foot, I would suggest a few kuhlis, but that's it.

Footprint is the biggest requirement with any bottom-living fish. One square foot of floor space just doesn't cut it with loaches.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Setsuna

Post by Setsuna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:36 am

I thought as much.... Its just a pain having it deeper then it is wide >_< My brother inlaw made it and I dont want to upset him by asking if he can take out one of the sides and make it a 'long' one.

Ahh well...... Next time ^_^

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:14 am

It gets even worse. If you have boiled everything, especially after having nuked it for ich, you won't have much boi-filtration left, if any.

Setsuna

Post by Setsuna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:20 am

Yeah.... I've gotta start it from scratch. My sister inlaws offered to give me some of her gravel to kickstart the cycle tho.

Had to boil the rocks, didn't want to put new fish in a tank that still might be contaminated by either snails or ich

newshound

Post by newshound » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:31 am

if your sister in law has an established tank just put your new filter in her tank for a week and then take it to your tank.
drain your pool!

LUVaLOACH

Re: So my tanks dead........

Post by LUVaLOACH » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:15 am

Setsuna wrote:As some of you might remember, I had Ich trouble recently. Well the ich combined with an unexplainable snail infestation (had no snails in the tank before the ich) has completely killed everything in my tank.

But as narky as I am about that, I figure this gives me the perfect chance to choose different fish. I've completely stripped my tank and am boiling the driftwood and gravel and pretty much everything that was in that tank.

My LFS has gotten in sids and clowns for the first time, and much as I want them both I know I'd never fit clowns in there happily. The tank is 1'wide by 1'deep by 2'tall approx 60L. If I can have sids, how many could I have? If I couldnt apart from kuhlies are there any other loaches I could have in there?

I'm debating whether to ditch the gravel I currently have and go for either smaller gravel or sand. Any suggestions?
Hi there and sorry for you loss, that is really a bummer. It is so hard to start all over, been there, done that. IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about the changing the gravel if you can't have loaches, that is if you are happy with the substrate you have now, if not, this would be a great time to switch to something you like more.

Good luck,
Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 am

Sorry to hear it Setsuna. :cry:
Angelfish need a tall tank. If you plant it, and switch to a sand substrate you could keep a pair in there. To get a pair, though, you'd need 6 juveniles, wait till they pair off, then you could return the other four if the lfs was up for that. They will frequently take back larger angels because they can get a good price for them.

Just a thought.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:33 pm

you dont even need a pair..

she could just get one angel and a few corys...maybe some small tetras?
that would be cool in a tall tank...

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:07 pm

brett_fishman wrote:you dont even need a pair..

she could just get one angel and a few corys...maybe some small tetras?
that would be cool in a tall tank...

-brett.
angelfish would eat the tetras, especia;lly if they were small ones
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 pm

i didnt mean neons..

i meant glowlight or rummynose...

for example:
1 angelfish
6 glowlight tetras
6 peppered corys

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Setsuna

Post by Setsuna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. The LFS has given me AU$72 store credit for all the fish that I lost, but I think I'll use that on my lizards and buy the fish and tank related stuff from the other LFS that I've never had a drama with.

Keep the suggestions comming, got ages to decide before the tanks ready ^_^