NEW clown loach ^_^

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shazam26

NEW clown loach ^_^

Post by shazam26 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:00 pm

I have a brand new clown loach- I got him today, Donna (lfs owner) had them kept in quarantine since the last shipment and I only found out that they even existed today. :shock: So I picked one up to even out to three for the loaches I currently own. He's about 2&1/2-3 inches long and a lovely color. Could do with a little bit more weight though ;)
I'll try to get pictures up soon- probably get mr. white in to do the task, with the horrible photos my camera takes. X_X He's already eating up whatever he can find and claiming a cave :lol:

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm

A lfs that quarantines? Oh, I can only dream about such a luxury. I'm sure your new little loach has a wonderful new home. :)

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 am

O RLY? ^__^

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:33 am

awesome. i bet you can fatten him up in a week or two! :lol:

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:58 pm

yes, I can fatten him up no problem! He's already lunging into the shrimp that I gave them a few moments ago with my tiny clown, Lewellyn ^_^
This is the most active clown I've ever seen, btw.... Tanooki doesn't know what to make of such a boisterous fish of size equal to himself!
O RLY? ^__^
:lol: YA RLY... KTHXBIE!

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 pm

shazam26 wrote: :lol: YA RLY... KTHXBIE!
I see wat u did there. :wink:

LUVaLOACH

Post by LUVaLOACH » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:59 pm

loachmom wrote:A lfs that quarantines? Oh, I can only dream about such a luxury. I'm sure your new little loach has a wonderful new home. :)
We have a LFS that QT's here but you pay the price for the fish, it is a nice thing to have, and not heard of often.

Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:02 pm

My LFS also orders clowns at a medium size as opposed to babies, due to the fact that A, if they are bigger, they cost more money, so it'll discourage just anyone from buying them. Also, if they're bigger, it'll make people wonder about the size they get to.
But most importantly, the bigger clowns aren't usually riddled with ick and worms when they come in, like the babies are.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 pm

That's a great attitude to have, and I wish more shops would think like that. I never order in clown loaches under 2.75". Most shops that order in the tiny ones do not give them the intensive feeding that they so need. This is easily done on a large system in a shop (i.e. which has a huge amount of filtration) so there really is no excuse, but still you see them tiny and underfed. Moreover, when they are then sold on to the unwary aquarist, they cannot keep up with such intensive feedings due to the limitations of the filtration on the average home aquarium. In an ideal world, there would be a ban on exporting these tiny specimens, as there is for the larger breeding population.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Emma Turner wrote:That's a great attitude to have, and I wish more shops would think like that. I never order in clown loaches under 2.75". Most shops that order in the tiny ones do not give them the intensive feeding that they so need. This is easily done on a large system in a shop (i.e. which has a huge amount of filtration) so there really is no excuse, but still you see them tiny and underfed. Moreover, when they are then sold on to the unwary aquarist, they cannot keep up with such intensive feedings due to the limitations of the filtration on the average home aquarium. In an ideal world, there would be a ban on exporting these tiny specimens, as there is for the larger breeding population.

Emma
agreed. a few of the lfs i saw had some very small specimen that looked below standard health. its sad and they were asking 20$ per loach that were half the size of my 2" loach that i picked up at petsmart.