Loach Names. What do you call your loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LoachOrgy

Loach Names. What do you call your loaches?

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:23 pm

Do you guys name your loaches? We have been coming up with a few. Since they all have distinquishable habbits we can tell each one apart. We havn't finished naming them yet but we are throwing around a few names.

1)one has a spot on his fin, he is spot

2)flipper-looks like a dolphin

3)twins as we call them-huey and duey or i was thinking of Julius and Vincent Benedict from - Twins the movie

4) the alpha loach is a chickin sh#t so we were thinking of calling him grumpy or chickin sh#t but it doesn' go well.

5) the curious ones name is george

6) the smallest we call runt loach but havn't come up with a name.

so we are looking for two or three good names. anyone have any suggestions? (for a grumpy alpha loach and two twins that follow eachother around like tweedle dee and tweedle dumb)

the tank is a 55 gallon soon to be upgraded to a 75 when the proper tank is found.

current aquarium roll call

4 fat and active green corys
4 older loaches
4 newer loaches
8 cherry barbs
2 upside down catfish
1 big cat who never comes out (http://www.timstropicals.com/Photo.asp? ... herfinInfo)
2 golden algae eaters- one is going to be moved to the tetra tank soon the other will be moved two months after the new tank will be setup or has had enough time to cycle and establish

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Among my Clowns there are: Snap, Crackle, Pop, Spot, Smudge and Stripe. I sort of stopped naming them once the shoal grew beyond 7.

AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 pm

My Clowns

Pig Boy - he doen't click he grunts
Roseanne - yes that Roseanne
Greedy Guts - fairly self explanitory
Shamu - My nephew thought they looked like orange and black Orcas
Bashful - We only ever see the back end of him
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --Ben Franklin

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 pm

My daughter has two eccentric male angelfish she calls "Janrah" (genre) and "Maylayna". . .

This is why I don't name my fish. She does it. So far, she has left the loaches alone. :roll:

...thankfully...
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Littlelady

Post by Littlelady » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm not sure if I should 'confess' or not :lol:

They are not very imaginative names, but all my loaches have one!

The clowns: first 2 I bought got named Click and Clack (ummm.....ok I know! but I found their clicking absolutely endearing!) Clack is now the alpha loach. The one with a spot on his underneath and non continuous stripes down the side is 'Splodge' and the one with the spot on his side 'Splots' (It had to match Splodge sound wise).

The zebra loaches are Tic, Tac and Toe (Tic is the alpha)

The kubotai are Trickle, Treecko and Trouble. The distinguishing features on them are their poka dot markings at the moment, but as they grow up I have no idea how I will tell them apart should this change. Having said that though, they are all showing individual characteristics - so who knows...

Seeing them written down makes them seem so silly, but the names just fit!
:roll:

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:54 pm

i gave up naming fish.... It could be a jinx for me to name them.

fishy_friend

Post by fishy_friend » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Mine are named Crafty, Spot, Lincoln(I bought him on president's day), Spike, Springer, and Turbo. :D

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 am

mistergreen wrote:i gave up naming fish.... It could be a jinx for me to name them.
I agree... if I do name them it stays very generic.

My redtail shark is "The Shark" and my biggest clown is "The Biggest Loach."

As in... "Whats up The Shark?" or "How are you The Biggest Loach?" ;o

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:29 am

The only fish I have named is the big old grumpy alpha clown that refuses to give up his place under the bogwood. I call him Old Grumpy.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:26 pm

My teeny tiny clown, Lewellyn, got his name from his big personality. :lol: He's so small but such a crazy fish deserves a big name.

Alfie got his because he was so shy & cutesy. He acted the way Lewellyn looks- really meek and tiny.

IndieJ got her name because she survived the big tank smash of '06- sort of a knock off of Indiana Jones for going on such an adventure O_O

Sir Loin got his name because he was such a spazz. I figured he deserved something funny and wild.

Heckle is one of the two twin black kuhlis, and he got this twin name for being the one that gets into the weirdest situations and places in the tank :?

Jeckle is the darkest kuhli, so it's sort of obvious why he's got that name. :lol:

Finally, my newest clown is Luigi, for bieng the biggest, baddest, most energized and healthiest clown at the store. 8) Had to give him a stellar name.

LUVaLOACH

Post by LUVaLOACH » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:03 pm

This is so funny, I like all your names. I don't have names for all my fish, however, I did have 2 albino african clawed frogs that we named skinny dipper and streaker...if you have ever seen them they are so cute...they look naked, lol!

Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm so unimaginative with my names. Everyone gets called Mr X or Mrs X depending on what gender and species they are. Doesn't work for the praecox rainbows or the Danio dangila as there's just too many, although the alpha danio is often called....actually I can't repeat it here.....as he eats the loaches food before it gets to the bottom!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:26 am

my alpha striata is called fatty, for the obviuos reasons, and when i had an apistogramma cacutoides, he was called grumpy. my friends and family did not get on with him :cry: he was a poor misunderstood and loyal fish.

i am very glad plenty of other people have daft names for their fish too.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:55 am

The biggest of the loaches is a little stubborn. maybe i should call him meat head! he is getting so big now. i havn't seen him/her in two weeks and its amazing how much bulk a clown can put on when you havn't seen them in a while...its those salad shrimp...

oh wait.....i got it....

I am going to call the big loach 007. because he is always hiding the most out of any of the fish. hes always in disguise and like an agent....maybe he can be called Double O loachy!

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:31 am

My wife named the dominate shcistura Baby daffy cause at feeding time, it says mine mine mine. Other than that haven't really got into naming the loaches. Most of the cichlids had names.