Qs about tank designs

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Total Package

Qs about tank designs

Post by Total Package » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:06 am

I've been looking at larger tanks recently to expand the loach collection. However, I can't find any info on the benefits of built in overflows. Going for something in the 75gal range with a canister filter (similar to a Fluval305, probably one overrated for the tank). What are your suggestions?

I'd like a sort of "lazy" river setup with a few powerheads but nothing like the full blown hillstream setups that some of you'll have. Stocking is looking like striata, yoyos and kubotai, ottos (?), and some small tetras.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:56 pm

For a freshwater 75 gallon tank, I'd probably just get 2 Rena Filstar XP2's Or get 1- XP2 and a HOB filter, like a Penguin 350.

Overflows are basically used for sump filters.

Benefits-
-Overflows eliminate surface scum
-You can use your own imagination to design the filter system
-Can turn over large volumes of water quickly

-Sumps add to the overall water volume of the aquarium system.
-Sumps are a good place to put equiptment like heaters, meters, ect..
-Water Changes could be simplified with a sump. For my future system, I 'll just turn off the pumps/valves, empty the sump, then filll the sump, add dechlore, then turn the pumps/valves back on and the water change is done. I'll also add a few float valves to automate this some. One float valve will be for an Auto-Fill for tap water and the other will be an auto-top off for RO water (to replace water that is lost from evaporation).

Drawbacks-
Added complication with valves and pumps.
Noise- most overflows are known to gurgle loudly.

YellowFinned

Post by YellowFinned » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:36 pm

chefkeith wrote:Drawbacks-
Noise- most overflows are known to gurgle loudly.
I've got overflows and sumps on all my tanks. No Gurgling. A bit of filter medium underneath cotton wool in the overflow, and large bore piping, no noise.

qumqats

Post by qumqats » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:40 pm

chefkeith wrote: Noise- most overflows are known to gurgle loudly.
They can be designed to run quiet.

Oversize the return piping.
Run the overflow compartment water level almost to the same level as the tank.
Use a Durso or Stockman standpipe.
Use a spraybar for the return.

I'm running 5-600 GPH on a 60G tank and the loudest noise are the two Danner Mag-Drive 3 pumps.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks guys. I should of mentioned that the gurling sounds could be prevented, but I responded quickly to this thread because nobody else did.

Since you guys have experience with this, are there any other benefits/drawbacks to built in overflows? Sumps?

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:30 am

thanks for the info. it's something that I haven't seen discussed anywhere before and would like some more info before buying a new tank.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:45 am

Since I have been researching building a sump myself I'll repost some info from another forum (sorry if some of these points arelady mentioned).

Advantages:
1) you can hide all equipment in the sump tank
2) because of #1 you dont have any wires/hoses going up behind your tank, which could also make things like using a magnetic algea scraper on the back easier
3) extra water volume in your tank, you could easily build a sump that holds an extra 25-50 gallons of water or more.
4) you could make a refugium in the sump, you could put fry in there or snails, plants for a veggie filter, etc.
5) the water level in your tank will always remain full. evaporation will show in the sump tank - the water level in your sump will go down but not in your main tank. No more anoying 3" low water level in your dispaly tank by next waterchange.
6) you can add medication, chemicals, fertilizers, whatever to the sump, without having to get into you main tank (more convinient, and wont scare fish).
7) you could plumb a drain line in for easy draining of you tank for water changes.
8 ) easier to alter the design later for your needs
9) allows you to do an open top tank without a bunch of stuff visible for those interested in open tops.

Some disadvantages would be:
1) more complex to build and setup
2) extra cost involved in overflow chambers/HOB's
3) 'tuning' involved can be tedious
4) greater chance of overflow