My Clown Loaches-update and questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MTS

My Clown Loaches-update and questions

Post by MTS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Ok, before finding this site, we got in the dilemma of getting 2 clowns for a 55 gal. (with 12 black neons). Easily hooked on these characters, we decided we would get a 6-foot tank once the weather is warm enough for my husband to comfortably make a stand in his workshop. Making this commitment, we went back to PetSmart to get more clowns to have a proper social community but alas, they had no clown loaches in stock.

Low and behold, while grocery shopping at Meijer big box store, I find a group of clown loaches dancing up and down the glass in an overstocked tank of multiple species without a single hiding place for them. Perhaps I was wrong to buy clowns from a place that obviously didn’t know how to care for them and shouldn’t be selling them. But, it was as if the little guys called out to me for rescue. I took 4 home.

Now with 6 clown loaches and 12 black neons, we wondered if our filtration was adequate. We mail-ordered an Eheim canister and replaced the powerhead we were using for current with the Eheim’s spray bar. We kept the Emperor HOB and figure we now have 2-3 times the recommended filtration for a normal 55 gal. tank. Our clowns seem to have adapted pretty well. Although they don’t come out to beg like most of our other fish, they do come out once food is put in the water. After seeing a video of a posting on this site, I tried putting cucumber in the tank and got great results. Heard them making clicking noises for the first time.

Now questions:
1) After reading about Levamisole Hydrochloride on this site, I wonder if they should be treated. The clowns seem healthy although some are thinner and smaller than others—all have good appetites, are active and no signs of disease.

2) Feeding: how much and how often? I’ve been feeding twice a day, mainly flakes (mail ordered from Wet Thumb http://www.wetthumbaquatics.com/fish_foods.htm) and frozen brine shrimp. Twice a week I put in algae wafers, cucumber or squash before bed.

3) Planning for the bigger tank--what other fish would make good tank companions?

4) Are we missing something else we should be doing? We do regular water changes, with soft water, ph7 (treated R/O D/I) and monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.