stocking questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joitoy

stocking questions

Post by joitoy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:34 am

Once my tank is leveled out again in the ph and ammonia department, I wanted to see about finding more gold dojos, and possibly kuhli loaches.

Disregarding any fish that I am gonig to be trading in and moving by the time that happens, I will have

3 gold dojos
4 giant danios
4 glowlight tetra
3 cories

I want to have a total of 12+ glowlight tetra and at least 2 more danios.
At full size, IF I keep my gold dojos indoors and don't put them in the outside pond, how many more loaches could I house in this 75 gallon tank. They have to be fish that can survive between a 68-74 degree temp, as my tank is now stable at a 74 degrees and nobody seems to mind. I want these dojos to be with me a long time and not to stunt them, so I'm taking their adult size into account. Right now the golds are 5 inches and the spotted is 4. The danios are 3 inches and the cories about 1.5

In the space of my tank could I comfortably house 5 gold dojos 5 kuhli loaches 12 glowlight tetra, 6 giant danios, and 5 albino cories or would that be pushing the stocking limits.

Another idea I had is that I would make my outdoors pond a 'retirement home' for my full sized loaches once they got too big for the tank indoors. I live in texas, the summers are very hot so I dont know if thats feasible since water temp would rise, but right now our february weather is at 70 and 75 degrees already and I know at 3 feet it shouldnt freeze and kill them, they might like it.