Emaciated Clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

EdenAU

Post by EdenAU » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:26 am

I found the FAQ page where I first remember reading about levamisole (for fish)... On loaches.com of course! :lol:

FAQ Parasites

The only confusing thing on that page, is that twice it alludes to having the pH around 6.6 (as the drug is ineffective at a pH higher than 7) -
Use 800mg per 10US gallons and make sure your pH is about 6.6. If the pH is above 7 the drug is made unusable
The important thing to remember is that the drug is only active at a pH lower than 7. I have used it at 6.6 with good results.
Then down about half-way it says that the drug is ineffective at a pH lower than 7
The drug is not effective at a pH of below 7, and is an effective treatment for helminth worm infestations (tapeworms, roundworms, spiny-headed worms, nodular worms, and threadworms).
:?
My pH is spot on 7.0 - hopefully that means it will work :wink:

I decided to go with 10mg per litre of water - and the levamisole (liquid) I have for the dogs is 12.5 mg/ml...
I also treated the whole tank; since all the fish in the tank came from the same tank at the store, if it is an internal parasite then chances are that they've all got it.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:10 am

This is my last update-

I've decided to euthenize this emaciated clown loach ASAP. I didn't have the heart to do it before, but I now think it is what's best for the loach and for myself.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:48 pm

He won't be suffering anymore and you did your best, but I'm sorry it didn't have a happier ending for you :(.

EdenAU

Post by EdenAU » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:45 am

:( Sorry to hear about your skinny loach chefkeith.

I finally managed to get a photo of my skinny fellow - digital cameras & fast moving fish don't go too well together though :?

Almost!

Hiding behind BigBrother

The 3 of them all love eating from my fingers, which made it a bit easier to get them to hang around for the photo session :D
However they seem to know when I've got the camera in my other hand, going by the "look" they give me!

CKfish

Post by CKfish » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 am

Interestingly, the current issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist has an article on the treatment of "chronic wasting disease" in livebearers using levamisole. In livebearers, the wild caught specimens seem to commonly arrive with nematode worm infections.

In the article they dispute the claim that levamisole will not work at pH above 7.0, for whatever that's worth.

The author (Ted Coletti) asked for comments as to whether anyone used levamisole for anything else, so emailed him regarding it's use for similar purposes on loaches. I haven't received a response from him.

Good luck guys. Keep us posted.
CKfish aka Charlie

><((((º>..·`·..·`·... ><((((º> ..
·..·`·.. ><((((º>``·..·`·.. ><((((º> ..

EdenAU

Post by EdenAU » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:19 am

Well it's just over a week later, and my skinny loach is still surviving...
I don't know if I'm imagining that he's looking better...

Apologies to everyone for the blurry pics - I've only got a 3.2mp digital camera, & the loaches move too quick for it :?

This is "feeding time" for the little guy:

Then again, the other two don't mind coming up for some blood worms either :D

Actually, with my thumbnail in the pics it gives an indication of the size these guys are (I have quite long nails... my thumb nails are almost an inch long from quick to tip). :)