Kuhli Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

Kuhli Loaches

Post by Wendie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 am

:roll: When I first got both my regular kuhlis and the black kuhlis - split into two different tanks - they were extremely active going up and down the corners of the tanks. Now, they ignore the corners and spend all their time working around the tank itself. Drapped in the plants, going in and out of caves, everywhere you can imagine. You can't look at the tanks without seeing kuhlis working around. I bought a small resin bridge with the upper bridge support areas. I turned that upside down and all the loaches love it. The Yo Yo's just fit thru as does the clown. It's common to see the Kuhlis hanging out of the holes.

What I am wondering is if the running up and down the corners might be a "wild" kuhli thing where they are attempting to escape. These guys are just as active now - perhaps more so - than when I first got them.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:15 am

All that up and down the corners activity is referred to as "Loachy Dancing".

Kuhlis do it, Clowns do it, many loaches will do it. It happens upon introduction to a new home, or after you do a big decor reorganization. Seems to be a reaction to change. You may find if you do a big water-change they will resume for a while.

Now your kuhlis have found the boundaries of the tank and settled in, their behaviour is more relaxed. However, I would bet if you creep into the room with a flashlight at night, you'll find them going nuts all over the walls of the tank.

Sounds like you are providing an environment to their liking. They tend not to be out actively searching around for food if they feel unhappy in any way.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Joe Loach

Re: Kuhli Loaches

Post by Joe Loach » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:57 am

Martin,

What are your thoughts on Kuhli Loaches having similar behavior to Weather Loaches (more activity due to a reduction in barometric pressure)?

Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:09 pm

My dojos really don't seem to react differently with weather/barometric changes...and I live in the middle of the Great Plains where the storms are huge and barometric changes significant.

They just spaz out when they feel like it... :lol:

Eric