Albino Rainbow Shark and Loach Compatability

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Riven02

Albino Rainbow Shark and Loach Compatability

Post by Riven02 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:41 pm

My LFS just got some Chain loaches in stock. I have wanted these for a very long time but I am afraid I might have to find a new home for my albino rainbow shark before I can get them.

I have a 55 US Gal. tank and the rainbow shark is very fat healthy 4.5". Do u think he will hurt new loaches?

My LFS has Yo Yo, Chain, and Burmese loaches. All are very small ATM. DO u guys think any of these would be capatible with my Shark now even though they are very small? What about if I let the loaches grow a bit before adding them?

The shark have never showed any intrest in any other fish. He has been very calm but ATM he owns the whole bottom of the tank alone.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Hey, I don't see a problem at all. A 55 is an appropriate size.
My rainbow shark (not an albino, but there's not a true difference in personality- they claim the albino is more docile and I've seen that in the albino my friend has. I don't know if it's true for all of them though!)
It think the aggression between rainbow sharks and other fish can sometimes be a bit stretched. I find my shark has only ever been bothered by sharks of tha same species, or very similar fish. And, he's only ever given them very light hearted chasing- nothing harmful.
One of my friends has a very large tank including a rainbow, an albino, AND a rtbs. They actually get along relatively well! Occasional chasing, but other than that very peaceful and just stick to their own territories.
They've never ever actually done harm to each other or other fish.
My Tanooki has always been accepting of all the other fish I've had. He doesn't bother the clowns, kuhli's, catfish, or barbs- in fact, he shares food with them, especially the clown loaches. He's even been known to back off when they get serious about chowing down. VERY occasionally, he has chased the giant danios- but that's very short lived and never harmful. I think he's just attracted to how zippy they are. :lol:
Mr. White's red fin, Patoot, will sometimes show a bit of irritation to new arrivals- in the form of flicky-swimming. In where he swims a bit more aggressively. He's never actually acted on this though, he always just goes into his caves like a sook, and warms up to them by the next day.
I highly doubt any trouble with your albino- in fact, Rainbow sharks are some of my favorite fish and are fun to watch. I wouldn't get rid of him!
He'll warm up, unless you've truly got a psycho on your hands. And if he doesn't chase your top feeders, which sounds odd to me because that's what they usually seem to like to chase if anything, I think you've got a pretty placid rainbow, and I don't think you have any reason to be worried. I've always heard loaches and rainbow sharks being recommended in communities together, and haven't seen any reason to doubt this recommendation yet. :wink:
3 Dojos: Indie J, Sir Loin, Double D
1 Pictus: Mollie
---
1 Red Fin: Tanooki
3 Clowns: Lewellyn, Alfie, Luigi
3 Kuhli's: Jasper, Heckle, Jeckle
---
1 Dwarf Gourami: Yazz-Flute
2 Angelfish: Thurstin, Genyevive (Vyvi)

Riven02

Post by Riven02 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Thats good to hear. The only problem I have had with my rainbow is with my other rainbow. I had to seperate them because the smaller one stopped eating and was constantly in hiding. I was afraid the same behavor would be seen between any new bottom feeder I introduced. It sounds like that wont be the case.

However, I was thinking that currently with the size of the loaches in the store I think he could swallow them whole. They are very small. I have always been told a fish will eat anything that will fit in thier mouth -=) is that true?

bevans

Post by bevans » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:16 pm

However, I was thinking that currently with the size of the loaches in the store I think he could swallow them whole. They are very small. I have always been told a fish will eat anything that will fit in thier mouth -=) is that true?

Depends on the shark, really. My red-tail (approx. 4") is currently in a 55 gal. with livebearers. He was at war with my Golden CAE to the extent that I had to move him, and he chases the grown up fish. But I've got week old guppy fry and sword fry in there and he just ignores them, though he could certainly inhale one whole. I think fish have to be a certain size to register with him as competiton.
Brenda

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Rainbows can be very strange. Patooti was in with baby guppies, and he never touched one of them in a mean way. I also heard of a Rainbow shark actually protecting a group of baby fish- what kind, I can't remember- in his cave when the mother died shortly after breeding. :?
He kept other fish from devouring them. Now THAT is weird.
I wouldn't worry about it. The rainbows actually have pretty tiny mouths.
And their preference is vegetable matter- sinking wafers, algae, what have you. I've never found them picking on tiny fish. They usually butt heads with other fish of their kind.
The situation between your two rainbows is normal. Two in a tank is a very bad idea, because one will ALWAYS become dominant, take their picking of food, and chase the other relentlessly. They get along best in a group of at bare minimum 3, but six is ideal if you want more than one.
As I said, my friend has a rtbs, a rainbow, and an albino rainbow. The bullying is evened out, and therefore one particular fish doesn't take the brunt. And the chasing never seems very aggressive or mean-spirited.
Moreso a "hey, this is my cave, remember?" behavior. Otherwise, they're pretty peaceful. Every time I've seen them chase each other it seems to be more playful, because one never seems to get close to the other, no color fading, no fin nipping or other acts of aggression as such. Moreso an "I chase you, you chase me" event.
Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about your fish swallowing the loaches. He'll most likely leave them be at whatever they're doing. That's what he does with my clowns. :)
---
---

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Weird to say but my rainbow shark has turned into a clown loach. He shares his tank with among other things 8 clowns and I always find him with them and he even sleeps on his side like the loaches :lol:

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:57 pm

Tanooki hangs with the clowns, too! :shock:
He always sleeps in their log with them! And always eats with their group!
I hear stories of clowns and rainbows being buddies all the time. :lol: Very cute!

I think people are too hard on rainbows. :? I find barbs much more mean than rainbows, but everyone talks about the rainbows.
CAE's are saucy though. That's why your shark chased it. It's actually in the same family as the Rainbow and RTBS. Therefore, it's like adding another shark. Both aggressive fish!
---
---

fishnose

Post by fishnose » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:39 pm

My rainbow shark has been pretty good in my tank. He only chased fish when I got new cherry barbs and new zebra danios. He then chased them away, but he settled down after a week and only chases them occasionally.

Unfortunaltely, he started a circle. After he started chasing my zebra, the zebra danio started chasing my biggest cherry barb, who in turn began chasing my male red platy who chases the rainbow whenever he gets to close. Why can't we all just get along? :roll:

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 pm

i found that rainbow and albino sharks got along well with the loaches. often they would sit side by side in the same stump.
All your loaches are belong to me!

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:04 pm

I have one rainbow shark, about 5" and he does well in my tank thats planted. The main aggression with these guys are with their own kind or similar fish - there territorial. Sometimes it will chase away my SAE's (if I recall they are related) if they get close to his spot and occasionally another fish but never has caused much harm or stress that I can tell. Nibbles algae too.

mr white

Post by mr white » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:01 pm

i have a cae, a rtbs, a red fin and an albino redfin in the same tank... and the redfin hangs out in a car, chases the rtbs sometimes... rtbs chases the redfin sometimes... and albino redfin hangs out in some plants and rarely gets chased by the rtbs but is not bothered by the redfin. the cae will chase the rtbs out of his little hiding place, but won't hurt anyone. they all get along, and i'm surprised the redfin doesn't chase the rtbs more or the albino red fin because they're less than half his size... the cae is a bit shorter than the red fin though. they all get along well, the chasing is all in play, but... BUT... they are all rather young right now and who knows what sort of choas is awaiting me. but a tank with lots of territories is definitely helped me keep them all getting along, there's a place for everyone.
I'd say your albino redfin won't mind the loaches, as mine rarely bother with their own species (which they are most aggressive against).
my redfin doesn't bother my clowns or my kuhlis. actually, no one does. however, i don't know if the loaches you are looking at have a shy nature or not.
one redfin, one albino redfin, one kuhli loach, one horseface loach, one pleco, one clown pleco, two upside down catfish, two bala sharks in 77 gallons.
more kuhlis and horsefaces soon, hopefully.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:58 pm

In my experience rainbow sharks loves and can coexist with clown loaches. Other loaches like eos and the ones who like pecking at other fish should not be kept with rainbow sharks. My rainbow was terrorized by the yoyo and kubotias..
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

fish-geek

Re: Albino Rainbow Shark and Loach Compatability

Post by fish-geek » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I too find that the reputation of the rainbow shark has been stretched, they do not need huge tanks as a lot of sites say, I have had my rainbow, Robin, in a 15 gal alone for the past year and a half, he has done just fine. They, in my experiance are quite friendly fish, I have upgraded him to a larger tank and have the intention of adding 3-4 chain loaches, 2 neon blue gouramis and a few rummynose tetras. Robin is generally friendly towards other fish, and there will be a little chasing at first, fish like personal space too :)

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:48 pm

I have a Red-finned Shark with an Angel in a 40 uk gallon. They compete with each other for the food and keep each other on their toes generally but I feel they are both the better for each other's company.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

fish-geek

Post by fish-geek » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:57 pm

I have some fish in with my rainbow shark, Robin. I have 2 dwarf neon blue gouramis, Squid and Luna, a Sunset Gourami, Saturn, and a Bushynose Pleco, Pluto, and tomorrow I am going to get 5 rummy nose tetras. But Robin keeps chasing Saturn and occasonially Luna. Is there anything I can do to reduce this aggression? He has his own "hideout", a little castle that he loves. The only other that Robin lets in his castle is Pluto, the two are the best buddies and spend a lot of time together :) . But if anyone else, Saturn especially comes near the back or front entrance he will chase them away. So far I have not seen him hurt them