Loach stuck, real problem

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mary.burns3

Post by mary.burns3 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:19 am

I'm glad she is looking better. I had a platy who got wedged in a small hole on a bridge ornament. I broke the ornament and she had the same white band around her and had damaged her dorsal fin trying to move. She made a full recovery, the white band took a while to go and get colour back.
Poo collecting in the right hand corner in Juwel tanks is "normal" when the powerhead is 4 times the volume, ie 400l/h powerhead for tank around 100/125 litres. My clowns had a 1500l/h for 260 litre tank , 6 times volume and the problem went away, but remains on my angel tanks where they have lower powerheads to redduce flow for them. Mary

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:11 pm

There she is, healing well. I was kinda hoping he'd have a more noticable battlescar than that.....you know, for impressing the lady loaches :wink:

And just because it's really cute....

....fan shrimp up in the top of the onion leaves filtering out food.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:12 pm

Oh and can anyone tell me what that horrible algae that's eating its way through my lancet leaf anubius is?

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:06 pm

the leaf on your anubias is dying.... That's why the algae is growing on it. The algae is the symptom not the cause.

it's probably green spotted algae. They're impossible brush off or wipe off.
Your only chance is to move it into the shade.
And find out what nutrient deficiency you're having.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks mistergreen. Most peculiar, I'm sure I've seen it start on healthy leaves then the leaf starts to wilt. I regularly push fertilizer tablets into the substrate around the roots. :? Should I remove all leaves with any sign of it?

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:24 pm

we should start a new 'anubias' topic... but here's a quickie analysis.

Anubias are tricky. They're easy plants to grow but not at the same time.
Try not to completely bury the rhibozome completely into the substrate or it'll start to die... Some tie the anubias onto driftwood which leads me to believe they are not root feeders, so putting a root tab into the subtrate doesn't help that much.

You should dose liquid ferts into your water... The deficiency can be anything from nitrogen, potassium, iron, or other mirco-nutrients.

Anubias are extremely slow growers too, so algae tend to grow on them under medium - high light.