How much to feed 4 loaches??

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MARITA

How much to feed 4 loaches??

Post by MARITA » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm

First of all, I am so happy to report that (with the help of this board) all four of my loaches survived the ammonia cycle :D ; I have 1 khuli, 2 weather loaches, and 1 long-nosed (horse-faced) loach. I am feeding them Hikari Algae Wafers - but I've been only feeding about 1/4 - 1/2 of the wafer a day. The left overs (if any) are hard to find. So I was wondering just what is the proper amount to feed to avoid bad water quality from wasted food.
I also have on hand (for my goldfish, in a seperate tank) freeze-dried bloodworms & baby shrimp. Can I feed that also to loaches and, if so, how much?
And lastly, the question a lot of people ask - is a 10 gal tank enough for my loaches - at least for the time being? They are all approx. 2 inches long.

qumqats

Post by qumqats » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:12 pm

You need to feed them more than just Algae Wafers. I use 3 or 4 different kinds of feed in my tanks, flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, etc. They need variety.

If you see extra food laying around on the bottom after 15 minutes then you've overfed them. A general rule is as much food as the size of their eyeballs.

The loaches should LOVE the boodworms and baby shrimp.

If you have all the listed fish in a single 10G tank then you're already overstocked. Even if the 4 CLs are alone in a 10G you'll be crowding them pretty soon. You need to start plans for a BIG tank.

My biggest tank at the moment is only a 60G, but I'm working an interconnected system using a 120G and 180G as the final solution for my troop of loaches.

MARITA

Thanks - very helpful information!

Post by MARITA » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Yeap, I guess it's time to upgrade the aquarium - I am running out of space :shock: I already have another 29 gal tank with goldfish.
Glad to hear that I can feed them the bloodworms & shrimps! I figured they'd get bored with only pellets (even though they are jumping like craze when I drop it in the water - real funny to watcht).