20G Long

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

wbzorker

20G Long

Post by wbzorker » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 am

A recent thread suggested options for loaches in a 10 gal tank. What loaches would be appropriate for a 20L?

Everything that is currently in my 20L is being moved to a 20H. This leaves me with a perfect loach tank. I am hoping to put 3 Tiger Botia Loaches (Botia hymenophysa) in this tank. Will this work? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Wendy
Wendy :-)

shari

Post by shari » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:21 am

Tiger loaches (hymenophysa, helodes, berdmorei) are all very agressive species. Just something to keep in mind...in effect you'd be setting up a tank that would be specifically for agressive species, not a 'peaceful' community tank :wink:

Tanks of agressive fish can be fun, too. Just be aware that they will need tank mates that can either run REALLY fast, or are able to hold their own against their pushy personalities.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:25 am

Hi wbzorker, Syncrossus hymenophysa get too big (around 8") for a 20 gallon tank and their aggressiveness would likely result in mayhem in that size tank anyway.

A 20 gallon tank is limiting when it comes to loaches. You could choose kuhlis, a small group of Yasuhikotakai sidthimunki(sids) or if you like stripey fish Botia striata. Most other species will only be suitable as youngsters and eventually will need bigger quarters.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:08 am

Two more possibilities:

Polka-Dots with some bright dither fish.

Skunks (and probably nothing else...maybe a small pleco).

hth.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:31 am

One more less obvious choice would be a river tank!
A nice long tank would be great for some hillstreams and with some white clouds for dithers.
Erik
Last edited by Erik on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
16G bent corner planted ,pressurized Co2, turbotwist 9w, jebo 828 , 36 led

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 am

Lang Tanganyika Shell-Dwelling Cichlids are ideal for a small tank, as they don't tend to stray more than 3" from their shells, but they need agressive/resilient tank mates as they punch way above their weight and will draw blood if your fingers stray too near their shells at breeding time!
Lamprologus Brevis, Ocelatus and Speciosis are good examples, best with a sand or fine gravel substrate

I keep mine with some Juv Syno catfish, a Juv Bristlenose and some leapard Danios as dithers. When I move the catfish on into the big tank, I will try some small loaches in there to see how they get on.

If you are doing a river Tank then Lamprologus Congoensis are fascinating but when I had one in my small tank, he kept biting the tails off the dither fish one night and eating them the next....he is in my big tank now and gets on Ok with the polka-dots, he has lovely teeth!

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Erik wrote:One more less obvious choice would be a river tank!
A nice long tank would be great for some hillstreams and with some white clouds for dithers.
Erik
I agree 100%. I actually have a 20 long setup as a river tank using 3 AquaClear 201 powerheads, a Whisper 30 HOB filter and a couple of airstones.

Besides the hillstreams, maybe a trio of darios?

I was using the 20 long to grow out 3 baby skunk loaches a while back, but they out grew the tank pretty quickly.

Whatever you decide to do, just don't let that tank stay empty for too long :D