Jumping clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ippo456

Jumping clowns

Post by Ippo456 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:39 pm

I was recently treating my clowns for Ich & I think they're much much better now (no visible white specks).
Just to be sure, I'm still treating the water with meds & no carbon in the filter.
I notice that my clowns are jumping out of the water.
Is this normal? Or they're trying to get more O2?
I've increased filtration as recommended by lowering water level so water from HOB filter will hit the surface & create air bubbles.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, or my clowns are feeling funny.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:40 pm

i read a post a few weeks ago that someone lost their 9" loach from the fish jumping out of the tank. i would suggest trying to secure the top so they don't get out of it. i would hate to see you lose one to jumping over the edge....

doesn't sound normal to me. i have only seen mine jump this one time. but i have only been keeping clowns for a bit over 2 yrs.

today i had a few of mine slightly jump out of the water but this was when all of them were in a swimming frenzy.
All your loaches are belong to me!

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:41 pm

you can use a sheet of eggcrate from the lighting section of home depot to keep them in the tank. Cut it to fit around your filters, etc.
Jeremy

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:08 pm

I've never had my clowns come close to jumping, except when there's food to be had... I would definately secure the top. I had a weather loach jump out once, and I didn't find him immediately. He was lying on the carpet sticky with lint and cat hair, and I could have sworn it was dead, but I touched it and it wiggled! It was sticky too. I quickly put him back in the tank and he was just fine.

Though, I had another weather loach jump out, a different one, but I didn't get to him in time :(

It's only the clowns that are getting jumpy? Not sure what's going on... it's good you increased the filtration though. Also, I wonder if keeping the light off would help?

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:01 am

Did you remember to lower the temperature back to normal after raising it for the ich treatment? Warm water holds substancially less oxygen. Also, depending on the treatment used and the length of the period the tank was treated, you may have destroyed some of the beneficial bacteria and the tank may have to be cycled again. Check your ammonia/nitrite levels just incase. The only time my loaches ever wanted to jump out of the tank was when my tank was not cycled for long enough.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:17 pm

I did secure the top last night.
This morning, I thought that they had all stop jumping & decided to remove the top.
I went out, came back home only to find one of my loaches lying about 2 feet away from the tank :shock:
He was pretty dry & I blame myself for not putting the lid back on :cry:

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:13 pm

That's sad. :?
Guess you should keep the ld on.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Did the poor little guy make it??

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm with Vancmann. Fish that appear to be jumping more than what would be considered usual (or appear to be trying to escape from the water) normally points to a water quality problem. Do be sure to check all your water parameters. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Emma Turner wrote:I'm with Vancmann. Fish that appear to be jumping more than what would be considered usual (or appear to be trying to escape from the water) normally points to a water quality problem. Do be sure to check all your water parameters. :wink:

Emma
Will do.
Thanks.

saphphx

Post by saphphx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:21 am

Squishy is the only jumper out of our 10 loaches, but he obviously isn't normal in any way.

I would check your water and heater.

My oscar went from never jumping to suddenly launching at the tank top whenever he thinks there could possibly maybe be some sort of food coming his way, waters all ok, but he keeps hurting himself so I had to get a solid lid to keep him from cutting himself where the plastic meets and take half the tank water out to make it harder for him to jump. I also try to distract him and put the food in on the other side of the tank.

good luck, sorry to hear one jumped out. I lost a weather loach and a hilly that way. -hugs-
too many lovely fishies, not enough room for more tanks - fishkeeping nightmare :P
All My Fishie Stuff n Info

Help Save The Pacu

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Many, many years ago I lost an Asian Arrowana to jumping. All fish can jump. I never have lost another, always keep a secure top even during maintenance when you guard is down. They might not jump, but they can.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

KoiGuy

Post by KoiGuy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:14 pm

so egg crate is the best way to secure?
how about artist canvas or
polystyrene light prism

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:10 am

Egg crate has an air flow advantage. Plexiglass, light diffusing material, plastic wire mesh, there are many things that will work. With small fish ALL holes, even thin tiny ones , must be covered. With larger fish you have to be concerned with the fish knocking the cover free. Sometimes it takes some ingenuity, but it is necessary, unless you like dried fish.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:07 am

It was definitely water condition.
I did water changes & they're all fine now.
The water was quite warm, but they like it that way :)
They've been alright since the water change.