dojo with back/spine problem... :(

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

nxumdon

dojo with back/spine problem... :(

Post by nxumdon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi
I've had this dojo loach for about 4 years now and recently he seems to have developed a spine problem (my best guess?). About an inch from the tip of his head back on his body his spine seems to bend at a sharp angle and he cant seem to unbend it...whenever he tries to swim, its constant circles and he really struggles to make his way towards the food due to this messed up swimming. He IS still eating and has been this way for a few weeks now...I was thinking that maybe it was a light injury from horseplay as he is usually pretty feisty around the tank...but now I'm beginning to wonder if he'll get better or should I maybe put him down? He does not really swim around much except to eat now, but I suspect that is from the extreme difficulty he must be having with swimming.... :( :(

Please help!!!!

jason

Ippo456

Post by Ippo456 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:20 am

I think it's bend spine - what an appropriate name.
I've had guppies that died due to bent spine.
It could either be a sign of TB or vitamin D deficiency, calcium, or phosphorus .. one, two, or all 3.
I'm not too sure as I've never treated this symptom.
Vit D deficiency can be cured by more lighting, just like how our bones need sunlight to absorb Vit D.
Let's see what others have to say.

I have a guppy fry that was born with a bent spine & s/he acts normally despite the bent spine.
Even though I've provided enough light & nutrition, I think the bent spine was also due to in-breeding (genetic disease).
So, I'm not the one to pin-point exactly what caused your dojo to have a bent spine.
Good luck.