Tank setup update

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Finally!!!!!!!!! My 340 gallon (9 ft by 30 inches wide by 24 inches high) arrived on Monday. It is very heavy and was difficult to get it off of the truck.

Then today four of us moved it into the house. We used boards and pipes to roll it on. It was not too bad, but it took 2 hours.

I have not even unwrapped it and I won't until it is on the stand. That will be the hard part since it will take 6 to 8 strong people to lift it. I've still got a number of things to do before that will happen (move the 75 gallon out of the way, etc). Aquarium Obsessed built this aquarium and it looks like they did a fantastic job.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Congrats on getting it through the door. That tank is massive. I thought my 190 gallon glass tank was difficult to move (which weights about 300 lbs), but that tank must be like moving a mountain. I hope you never have to move it again.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:02 am

Whooe! Thats a monster of a tank! Congratulations, i know you will have fun setting it up. 8)

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:42 am

WHOOHOO!! That's an awesome tank! Some lucky fish are going to be very happy with that one. :D
Regards,
Erik

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am

that is one superb tank mate, once on the stand you can start enjoying yourself setting it all up.

mick

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm so glad your tank is finally here. Please keep us updated with lots of photos. Watching you set up this tank will help the long winter pass more quickly.
By the way, am I right to assume that the guy in the green chamois must be your brother? :)

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:10 pm

It's huge! Congratulations. We want more images, please!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks all.

loachmom- No, my brother lives in Pennsylvania (closer to you than me). They are friends from work.

I have moved the old 75 gallon tank out of the way and we are getting ready to lift the large tank onto the stand. We are having an aquarium raising party on Saturday (drop by if you are close). We should have 12 to 14 people lifting the 700 lb tank so it should should not be too bad. I will be relieved when it is safely on the stand. I'll post pictures of the event.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Keith Wolcott wrote: loachmom- No, my brother lives in Pennsylvania (closer to you than me). They are friends from work.
I thought for sure I was right about that one.

Hope all goes well with the tank lifting. We'll be watching for photos, so take plenty. My husband enjoys your thread as much as I do.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Good weekend to have a party. Will everyone be wearing Halloween costumes? That would be cool.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:57 pm

The Aquarium is safely on the stand!!!!! I am breathing a lot easier now that the hard part is done. Now I can enjoy taking my time and getting everything set up. Here are the pictures.

I had purchased two large (8.5 inch diameter) suction cups for use with glass. With these, the two srtongest of us (not me) could lift one end at a time so that we could slide 4x4's under on each end and the middle. This just got it off the ground enough so that everyone could get their hands under it to lift.

How many mathematicians does it take to lift a 340 gallon tank?

Eleven of us lifted without difficulty to the height of the supports that I made out of the crate that the tank was shipped in. Two people were ready and slid the supports under the tank when it was high enough.
That's my wife Ellen (in the blue) on the far side ready to move one of the supports into position.

On the supports.

I sent everyone to get food and drink (but no alcohol until the lifting is done) while I applied construction grade glue to the stand top and put on the 3/4 inch plywood. I waited until now to do this since the weight of the tank would be ideal for leveling out the top by forcing the glue out of the high spots and into the low spots to get a very level surface.

Tamping it down.

Adding the 3/4 inch foam. You can see one of the suction cups on this end.

Moving the tank and supports closer to the stand.

Sliding the tank onto the stand. This proved to be quite easy since the supports matched the stand height.

Fine tuning the position.

All done with the decorative facade pieces back on.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:05 pm

the tank looks beautifully made Keith, now don't go to bed and start filling it. :lol:

mick

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 am

That looks absolutely superb!! 8)
Regards,
Erik

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:59 am

Cheers for the update Keith, i really do enjoy watching peoples progress with lovely new tanks. I agree with Mick, it does look beautifully constructed.

Superb!! 8)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:08 am

The tank looks amazing.