Unknown Clown Loach sickness, please help.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cgoldsmith_99

Unknown Clown Loach sickness, please help.

Post by cgoldsmith_99 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:32 pm

The situation: have 8 clown loaches in a 125 gallon. Frontosa in the tank died of dropsy/bloat (my fault). Then noticed two of the loaches had very small white spots. Put all of them in my 20 gal hospital tank and treated for parasites for 2 days. Spots did not get better, did a 50% water change and treated for ick for the past 2 days (even though the white spots do not look like ick to me). More white spots developing, any ideas, if I cannot properly diagnose the problem I am going to lose them all.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

LUVaLOACH

Post by LUVaLOACH » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 am

Hi there and sorry to hear about your fishies.

First of all, where are the spot located on the fish? Are they bigger or smaller that what you normally see with ick? Have you considered velvet? I am no expert but this could be a possibility. I would do some reasearch on velvet.

Good Luck,
Kris
Have you loved your loach today?

worton

Post by worton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:13 am

Hey,

if spots are mostly on fins (there is not many of them and not close to eachother) it could be some sort of fungus/bacterial infection which sometimes happens when fish are in low condition (and medicine always weaken fish).

You can treat it with any anti-bacterial medicine (safe for loaches) or just leave things alone - fish usually can hanlde it by themselves when they get better. Leaving matter to nature may be a solution only when fish eat and don't care too much about this white spots. If fish are very weak, don't want to eat and act "strange" then you have to use medicine.

Just my personal opinion so please wait for more comments before doing anything ;).

Regards.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am

Take some pic's and post them here.

are they tubercles like the ones in this thread-

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... =tubercles

If so, you have nothing to worry about.