Don't shoot the messenger (Dont try this at home)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Nikki

Don't shoot the messenger (Dont try this at home)

Post by Nikki » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:06 am

I mod on another forum as many of you know, just had to post this link to this guys tank, it has among other things one clown and four kuhlis in it. see if you can figure out why I'm annoyed by it, before i post in his thread. !!!!!!
http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tfc/s ... hp?t=71544
My tanks

I still miss my husband sometimes...
But my aim is getting better.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:36 am

Is it because of the coral sand ? Is the coral to sharp for the mouth of the clown and the other fish?

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:40 am

plus alot of fish

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:44 am

wow that is brutal.

I dont think its the coral sand so much as the 100 or so fish. :shock:

ridiculous amount of fish.

and he said he "hardly ever" loses a fish, wonder what "hardly ever" adds up to?
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

mary.burns3

Post by mary.burns3 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:22 am

He also posted here

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21898

and explains how much it has cost him. I have the same Juwel Rio 180, with only 3 angels in it!!!

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:00 am

jerry_tyler wrote:plus alot of fish
Bingo, altho I'd have to say a lot is a major understatement!!!!
and they wonder why we get frustrated when they post in emerg!
My tanks

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:46 am

:shock: That is absolutely horrendous! Go and give him what for, Nikki!!!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:08 pm

I should also add that for those not familiar with the Juwel tanks, the Rio 180 measures 101 x 50 x 41 and holds 180 litres (approx 47.5 US gals). The built-in filtration is, in my view, not particularly efficient, and even in a 'normally stocked' aquarium, people should seriously think about adding an external filter to their tank. To have that many fish in a tank that size, and with just the built-in filtration is a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention the poor choice of substrate that will make the water hard, the fact that many of those fish will get huge, and also a lot of shoaling species kept in one's and two's! Grrr! :evil: The shop that sold all those fish to him should not be selling fish at all.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Hmm.... he has approximately 120 fishes, so he is 3x over the limit *if all the fish he has is 1" long*. He is probably 5x-6x over the limit under more reasonable assumptions.

If this is for real (I really don't think so) this guy is a magician....

Since he obviously knows what he is doing, perhaps someone should mention that he needs four more CL's (his one CL is probably lonely), 5 more Rosy Barbs, 5 more Odessa Barbs,..... 5x the limit, 50x the limit, what is the difference?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:41 pm

That almost looks like one of those manufactured tank scene pics you see in advertisements for those all-in-one aquariums.
If you ever see an Eclipse (by Marineland) catalog, there are lots of pics of tanks like that. Of course, those pics are not meant to depict an actual tank.

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Very True Jim, but you can see why folks do it, they think it looks nice and after all, all the ads in the mags, and all the store tanks are always overstocked. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.
My tanks

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:42 am

Nikki wrote:Very True Jim, but you can see why folks do it, they think it looks nice and after all, all the ads in the mags, and all the store tanks are always overstocked. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.
I couldn't agree more!!

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:24 am

I have run a Rio 180 for 4.5 years, and found that the original setup was a bit tricky sometimes, the pump would clog regularly and I really struggled with Oxygen levels.
2 years ago I changed to the later powerhead and added the aerator tube, I also rinse out 30-50% of the sponges with each tank clean to maintain good flow (whilst retaining bacteria in the rest)

It is now very consistent and I have lost 1 fish in the last year to disease/injury (Bosemans Rainbowfish). I have lost a few that I under-estimated their size in the LFS and became live food....

I have a slightly over-stocked semi-aggressive community, that defies the experts and lives in total harmony, but this guy makes mine seem empty...especially considering the size that some of those things get!

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm

that is too good...
it hurts my eyes just looking at the photo of the tank and then it came to me that it is not a 180 gallon but a 180L!!!!
It reminds me of a joke...
so this guy walks into a fish store and says "give me one of everything"
drain your pool!

JonGuerriero

Post by JonGuerriero » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:26 pm

newshound wrote:that is too good...
it hurts my eyes just looking at the photo of the tank and then it came to me that it is not a 180 gallon but a 180L!!!!
It reminds me of a joke...
so this guy walks into a fish store and says "give me one of everything"
That's perfect :D

I actually thought the tank was a 180 g at first too.....even if it was I think the tank would still be pretty well overstocked.

Nikki: I never understood why they made the pictures in the fish tank ads look like that....it always just seemed wrong :evil: